For all of us that hate the muffler placement

JAZ 5.0 said:
For 40 years it hasn't been a "safety" issue, so why should it all of the sudden be in the back. I agree with Stangnut, who cares what other cars are doing, we're talking about Mustangs.

To me your reasoning has no foundation, just because of one, then the other and it's ok?

There are new more stringent inpact standards that will be phased in over the next few years. The old Mustang would NEVER pass the new impact standards. These new regulations are one of the reasons why the Ford GT will be ceasing production after 2007.

The 2005 Mustang platform will be with us for at least 10 years, maybe as long as 20 years, so it had to be designed to not only meet today's regulations, but to be able to pass those future regulations with minimal changes.

Nothing is forever. Time for you guys to quit wasting your time whining. Get over it, the '05 Mustang mufflers are in the back and they aren't moving.

• Sponsors (?)

Steedaq said:
The only problem that I see with the mufflers being visible is corrosion at the welds. That could look pretty bad over time.

Now THAT is an excellent point that I hadn't considered! Stangnut, I may jump to your side of the fence IF the mufflers start showing rust stains around the welds. I'll withhold final judgement until they've been out on the road a bit.

05 mufflers

Ford should have always stayed with 14" wheels, carberated 200HP V8's, rustomatic body panels, underdash AC units, AM radios, leaf springs, generators, mush-bag steering, drum brakes, bias tires, mechanical advance ignition, oil leaks on the showroom floor, sealed beam headlamps, roll-em-up windows, single stage master brake cylinders, 18" shifters, and certainly a full size spare tire. Things change.

Only glancing at this thread, I say I too do not like the visible mufflers. I always liked how the fox mustangs like lx 5.0s had those long chrome pipes coming out the back and so on with the latest stangs though not as visible. The long tailpipes offer a much cleaner look. Not to take anything away from the '05 but, with the mufflers the way they are now it just reminds me of an Accord. Though it really looks like something that we're all just gonna have to get use to.

CatmanJJ said:
with the mufflers the way they are now it just reminds me of an Accord. Though it really looks like something that we're all just gonna have to get use to.

As I said, before, the mufflers in back remind me of an early 60s Ford Galaxie.

I really don't care about the placement, although I do think a better looking and quality of the muffler and rolled tail pipe is it order. I did spend time sanding down the rough cut on the tips of pipes. As soon as a good looking piece comes on the market, I will replace the factory ones.

Attachments

• Pb100815 A 2.jpg
    Pb100815 A 2.jpg
    71.6 KB · Views: 95
Stangnut said:
It's obvious, you like the look, or at least don't mind it.
However, if you'll read other post here and the other Mustang boards,
you'll notice MOST people don't like the mufflers and feel they would LOOK better if they weren't visible from behind the car.
I don't care where they are. I just don't want to see them.
Funny how every aftermarket muffler that has come out so far is trying to tuck them farther up into the car.
But, of course, the opinions of the rest of the Mustang fans don't matter, huh?

That's not accurate. Being in the business I'm in I know only those disatisfied complain. The 20,000 Mustang owners you are not hearing from on this board are happy with the mufflers or could care less. When you are disatsfied you seek out ways to express it as you did when you created the thread. I'm only joking! Now if you don't like them at least there are alternatives such as after market. Now everyone's happy! :spot:

How funny; until I read this thread, I hadn't even noticed the mufflers, or I thought of them as an integral part of the car. Now that I'm noticing them, I don't know if I can buy a stang or not. JUST KIDDING! :bs: The mufflers don't bother me any. They still look alright to me.

drmustang said:
Ford should have always stayed with 14" wheels, carberated 200HP V8's, rustomatic body panels, underdash AC units, AM radios, leaf springs, generators, mush-bag steering, drum brakes, bias tires, mechanical advance ignition, oil leaks on the showroom floor, sealed beam headlamps, roll-em-up windows, single stage master brake cylinders, 18" shifters, and certainly a full size spare tire. Things change.
I for one, wouldn't mind having a full size spare...