for anyone that has replaced a convertible top..

getinaGTsoon

Founding Member
Sep 8, 2002
Arkansas
Did you do it yourself ? My 94 still has a busted out back window that sews into the top.. also it has a couple slashes in the top. I'm thinking of buying a whole top from a salvage yard with the glass still in tact.. but I need to know if it is easy to replace as a whole ?

• Sponsors (?)

I have heard stories of people that attempted this install by themselves and it ended like a horror story. The guys that i have heard this from are mechanically inclined so its not like they were doing it half assed. If you do decide to install it yourself make sure you have extreme massive amounts of the following:
1. Time
2. Patience <-----probably need reserves of this
3. some friends willing to help
good luck on whatever you decide to do

-Drew

Look at it this way -- the parts are a couple hundred bucks. The labor to install is about $800. You tell me if this is something you can do yourself :D.

My brother installed the top on his 1972 Fiat Spyder, and it was a major league bitch. And it was a lot less complex top than SN95 Mustangs have.

Dave

There are videos you can purchase on E-bay (and other stang-oriented websites) that you can buy showing you how to do it exactly. Still, take the advice huskerpower, and be willing to step away and take your time. You can do it, but I guarantee you'll get pissed at least three times in the process. My top took me a case of beer and two days. Would have took less time but I had my 3 year old hanging around and 'helping' me.

It is really not that hard to replace the top on our verts. I did the top on mine a few years ago with the help of my dad. We took our time and did it over the weekend. Definitely go with a cloth top, much nicer look. All it it cost me was $505 for the black cloth top kit I got off ebay.

I bought both rear glass, top section and headlliner and plan on doing the install myself using this tutorial:

How to Change Convertible Top on Ford Mustang | eHow.com

I read through it and it seems pretty detailed. I will start doing more research as I'm waiting for the outside temperature to stabilize. Really though it doesn't seem all that impossible to do yourself with plenty of time and patience. I'm in no rush.

I paid $750 parts and labor. from tan top to black top with new window. My old top was worn and torn and the rear window was slowly coming off of the top I had air coming in all the time. You got to shop around for prices and reputation.