Ford could have made 500+hp naturally aspirated on the GT500

Discussion in '2007 - 2014 Shelby GT500 Tech' started by jazzwny, Jul 7, 2006.

1. CdnNavybob

CdnNavybob New Member

You guys are all talking about the catch phrase "Volumetric Efficiency". As displacement goes up, efficiency goes down. That 1.8L Honda Civic engine is only overcoming the rotating mass of 4 pistons, connecting rods etc. There are only 4 pistons creating friction with the cylinder walls etc etc etc. Add Cylinders and more bore/stroke and efficiency has to go down. There's just no two ways about it. The OP has ricer troll written all over him.

2. boss377

boss377 New Member

OK, I've got to jump in here; it's getting too "deep". Your Honda example doesn't work. The motor's 7000+ HP peak is useless for the street, and has no torque. That's why they don't sell. Remember this rule: you can only get torque from displacement.
    Porsche can only get 350 reliable HP from their 4.5L V8. How much do you think that engine retails for? I sell Porsche and Audi. Audi gets their peak HP on the RS4 at over 6,000 rpm. That motor is not built for longevity. It's a grenade. I don't want a grenade in my Mustang. Ford did not take "the easy way out". They did exactly the right thing. A totally non-stressed 300HP V8, that will last a long time, is easy to modify, and dirt-cheap to replace.

3. Rock36

Rock36 Member

This guy stopped arguing with us a long time ago, and relegated himself to all the other forums where he started the thread. Either way that was an interesting post. Is the RS4 really a grenade though? I don't know Audi's very well, but I would expect for such an expensive car that it would be a pretty durable one as well. :shrug: