Ford Explorer daily driver / carfax ¿

fords2fast4u

Founding Member
Mar 27, 2000
Mission Viejo, CA
So my cobra has been back in Oklahoma for three years now, and I'm not about to bring it up here with snow still on the ground in damned near April... and i saw this explorer for pretty cheap in town and i want to know what you guys think about it as a beater?

Its a 91 and the odo reads 70K (I'm thinking its 170K b/c there is no 6th digit)
It's no show-winner, but for the price i don't think I'll find a better deal

Can one of you guys carfax it for me? I haven't been on Stangnet largely since i was deployed and moved to the Northeast, so i don't know if you guys regularly do that anymore, but I'd assume so.

Here's the vin:
1FMDU34X1PUB39437

[email protected]

I'd heard some reports that the trannys usually go before 200K. Can anyone ad to this?

thanks guys! and you can bet that next year when i get my money from school and start building my drivetrain from the ground up that I'll be back around here more often!

• Sponsors (?)

I can 't do a carfax for you, but I can tell you about the older Explorers. I have a 1997 Eddie Bauer Edition. It has the 5.0 and the AWD. I hate it. It looks brand new, runs great, but the tranny is starting to slip. It has 143K miles on it. It gets about 14 miles to the gallon! I go through brake pads like underwear and it has never been wrecked, but it won't hold an alignment.

well thanks for the info...

anyone else ad to this?

I know that this is not the best option for a beater, because there are others out there (god forbid I buy a foreign make lol) BUT this car would only see maybe 2 months cumulative driving time a year for the next two years...

I had a 94 eddie edition, they have a torquey v6, will go through anything almost, the a4ld trans isnt the strongest, my sis broke mine at 130ish K. I would get another in a heartbeat, the things you got to watch out for are the window motors eating the teeth up, brakes and tires, If you are hard on brakes you WILL have shattered brake pads, basically its an suv and its hard on brakes and tires, the engine, is bulletproof, ny dad ran it completely out of coolant for like 10 miles and it blew the hg's out, but thats it!! basically a nice beater that will go out on trails like a mofo!!

thanks for the responces... but i think i acted too late b/c he may have sold it to somebody else...

I drove it and it was what i was looking for (new brakes and tires that still looked it) but the guy didn't know anything about cars b/c he said it was a V8... and it wasn't. lol But it still ran good. If he hasn't sold it, I'll buy it and post some pics

thanks again guys