Ford is suing companies for use of Mustang name?

By leaving Ford are you going to anything better???? The last time I looked up Evil Empire in the dictionary, the GM logo was there. GM has a long. long history of squashing the little guy and killing potential competition.

• Sponsors (?)

The difference between Ford and GM is that GM offers an alternative to aftermarket by selling top-quality parts for '60's musclecars. I always go to the dealer first for OEM parts for my wife's Corvette and have yet to find anyting they don't carry. Not only that, but GM's involvement with GoodMark gives OEM-quality sheetmetal to the Camaro/El Camino/ Chevelle crowd. Wander on down to your local Ford dealer and ask about parts for your '65 fastback and see how far you get. Ford does NOT care about you or I or our older cars. They don't see the big picture of how restored Fords lead to brand loyalty that sells NEW Fords.

reenmachine said:
This may be the case, but in the meantime Ford is doing irreparable damage to many businesses. Even if Ford calls it all completely off, much damage has already been done. They lose my brand loyalty for being stupid enough in the first place to think that it would be a good idea to alienate their most loyal customers right when they needed us most.

I absolutely agree! I just don't think that GM is any better - They have done/are doing the same type of thing. Not sure about Dodge though - maybe Dodge has management with brains?

GM keeps all that stuff in-house and manages to keep pricing low. I'm not sure how they do it, the two things are usually mutually exclusive in a free market. But GM's direction is lacking...no Camaro, the sporty cars they offer are a Cobalt with SS badging and a $70K Vette...not much for guys in my buying class.

Diamler Chrysler has some brains, and a good design team. But their quality has been questionable at best, I'm betting they'll get there, but they aint there yet. The Charger is the only one I'd consider, yet it just did not "move" me in any way except the Hemi.

Ford is the only company giving me 300hp in a $25K rwd platform. Add in the fact that it looks good and is called a Mustang and I'm not taking my buying powers anywhere else until that changes. Now in the decision on my next truck...well the CK and Ram are both quality vehicles.

P.S.
I do think they are making a mistake with this action, there are many good and loyal folks getting hurt. I think FoMoCo would be better served by offering a license to these companies to use "Mustang" in their names for a small fee. That way Ford could pull the licenses if the companies started abusing their license. But I am not a corporate lawyer, I doubt they are doing this on a whim.

Here is my new "Censored" Logo on my Ranger...

I am going to put them on my Mustang as Well...

Ford:nonono:

Grill
FordLogo.jpg

Tailgate
FordLogo2.jpg

Unbelievable,

What next the M#stang Club of America?

FORD WAKE UP!! Without the ungodly strong aftermarket the Mustang would be a front drive Probe clone, and possibly gone altogether. Seems like if it wasnt for m#stang fans you clowns would have done away with THE car that makes you money. Keep it up....that Challenger looks pretty cool! :SNSign: :SNSign: :SNSign: :SNSign: :SNSign: :SNSign: :SNSign: :SNSign: :SNSign: :SNSign: :SNSign:

reenmachine said:
I have heard from a lot of people that they will never buy a Ford product again unless this is totally reversed. I am one of those people. Coincidentally, I am in the market for a work truck. After never owning a non-Ford truck, I just pulled the plug on my E350 van deal and will buy a GM product. I will send a picture of me standing next to it to Bill Ford. Funny thing is, after removing my brand-loyalty blinders to do my research, the GM product is far superior.

Vote with your wallet. It's obviously the only thing they understand.
Well, here she is. The Ford pickup is gone. 2006 Chevy Express G3500. Tows like a dream!

van1.JPG

I have been following this thread, and many others on many sites. My big question is, has Ford issued any sort of official statement?

Without a doubt, my next project will not have a blue oval anywhere on it. (It will be either Black & Gold, or White & gold, and have "Hurst" in it's name)

I am officially looking for another 1974.....

HOatshow.jpg

Attachments

• HOatshow.jpg
    HOatshow.jpg
    77.8 KB · Views: 68
chepsk8 said:
I have been following this thread, and many others on many sites. My big question is, has Ford issued any sort of official statement?

Without a doubt, my next project will not have a blue oval anywhere on it. (It will be either Black & Gold, or White & gold, and have "Hurst" in it's name)

I am officially looking for another 1974.....

My Mach 1 goes in for paint in the Fall. Then it is done and I start my next project. Originally, I was going to get a 73 Mustang vert and add a 514 stroker but since Ford no longer wants my money, I have decided to go with a 71 Challanger.

From the Official FORD Mustang Club Center

My good friend Dave Marchand Sent me this note...

"
Thought you might be interested in this.

Sincerely,

Mustang/Thunderbird Club Center
Address: PO Box 2909
Farmington Hills, MI 48333
Phone: 1-800-576-PONY/1-800-TBIRD10
E-mail: [email protected]

* Go to http://www.fordvehicles.com/ and go to the Mustang
homepage.
* Click on 'Mustang Clubs Website' under the 'View All News
& Events' section

-----Original Message-----
From: [email protected] [mailto:[email protected]] On Behalf Of freepress.com
Sent: Monday, July 24, 2006 10:49 AM
To: David Marchand
Subject: Auto news - Ford protects Mustang name but only so far

You have been sent the following article from dave as a courtesy of the Detroit Free Press.

"Auto news - Ford protects Mustang name but only so far"

To view this article on the Detroit Free Press site, go to:

http://www.freep.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=2006607230598

Dave is a good friend, and we have spent time together. BUT, I am still dumbfounded on why there has been no formal response from Ford.

"We've invested a lot of money in the trademark and try to protect it," Bedore said. "Car parts Web sites using it are in business to make money, and they should pay us to use our trademark."

Interesting - I've never read anywhere that Ford has given anyone the option of paying a royalty fee to keep "Mustang" in their name. That certainly wasn't an option for MustangsPlus - correct me if I'm wrong.

reenmachine said:
... He makes it sound like it's a tiny thing that we "internet chat room weenies" are blowing waaaaaay out of proportion. :bang: :bang: :bang:
Man that’s hilarious.

Never underestimate the boycott power of the “weenie collective”. Ford may be a multi-billion dollar company, but their survival still depends on individual vehicle and component sales to us weenies.

68keyblr said:
"We've invested a lot of money in the trademark and try to protect it," Bedore said. "Car parts Web sites using it are in business to make money, and they should pay us to use our trademark."

Interesting - I've never read anywhere that Ford has given anyone the option of paying a royalty fee to keep "Mustang" in their name. That certainly wasn't an option for MustangsPlus - correct me if I'm wrong.

How was the roast duck with the mango salsa???:rlaugh:

Ford has the right to protect a trademark like the name "Mustang" as it applies to cars. They have an interest in making sure that low-life businesses and fly-by-night operators (not to mention scammers and outright charlatains) do not tarnish the name. In that regard I like the fact that FoMoCo is taking an interest in ensuring that the name "Mustang" does not get abused or mistreated.

But companies like Mustangs Plus are the core of this hobby and the type of company that FoMoCo should be behind 100%. They are not infringing on a copyright, they are keeping a Ford product on the road, and at the show/drive-in/cruise-night venues...WHICH HELPS FORD!

I think I said this a few pages back...make all companies who want to use the name pay a $0.10 per month registration fee and if they do something that reflects poorly on the name Mustang or Ford then simply do not renew their license. Mustangs Plus has been around since the VERY early days of this hobby, they have been a positive influence in every respect I can think of.

It is sad that some bean-counter (who probably rides public transportation anyway) in some accounting dungeon has decided that they are losing money by having an active following of Ford enthusiasts, vendors and hobbyists out there. It is also dissappointing to find that Ford is not addressing this from the board level.

Edbert said:
It is sad that some bean-counter (who probably rides public transportation anyway) in some accounting dungeon has decided that they are losing money by having an active following of Ford enthusiasts, vendors and hobbyists out there. It is also dissappointing to find that Ford is not addressing this from the board level.

One must conclude by their deafening silence that Ford is laying low expecting the protests to die out. It is important to keep this topic in the forefront and continue writing thoughtful letters promoting the benefits to Ford of the aftermarket businesses using the Mustang name. Persistence wins.:flag:

William C. Ford
Chairman & CEO
Ford Motor Company
PO Box 685
Dearborn, MI 48126-0685

I agree. Also, was anyone else offended by the total lack of effort the reporter of the newspaper article put into his work? I mean, let's be serious, how much effort would it have taken to actually call a Mustang parts vendor and ask to hear their side of things. I've learned that no matter how convincing a story sounds (especially a lawsuit) there are two sides to every story. That's why they allow both sides to testify in court, to get the truth. But so often reporters are content to get a few words from one of the participants and print it, rather than get off their collective butts and do the right thing. I asked Ford what their side was in an email because I couldn't believe there wasn't more to it than what I read here. BTW, I'm still waiting for a resonse from the Ivory Tower...