Ford MyKey System to Limit Mustangs?

MRaburn

Founder
Admin Dude
Nov 29, 1999
Auburn, AL
Mustang_MyKey.jpg

Could the legendary Ford Mustang get a new bridle to harness its power in order to promote safe driving by those less responsible? It just might, if the program expands across the entire Ford fleet. Starting in the 2010 model year, Ford will roll out the MyKey feature for several of its automobiles. The key contains a computer chip that communicates with the on-board systems in order to control speed limitations, audio system volumes, and even more annoying "fasten seat belt" alerts. Think this sounds crazy? To most parents, who often equip their teen drivers with performance cars, the idea sounds fantastic. Right now, the concept is just a rumor for the 2010 Mustang, but if the popularity grows for the MyKey program, we could see this new bit used on future pony cars. Fine by us...just make sure we have at least one "dumb" key available for the weekend.
</img> </img> </img> </img> </img> </img>

More...

There is no way Ford would sell all of their cars fully limited with the key. They could much more easily just do it at the car's computer, and it would definitely hurt sales. The MyKey has to be an additional optional key that you can have programed with limitations in addition to your master unlimited key.

I think this is a great idea for parents, as long as you could have the multiple keys so you could program one MyKey with the limitations, and another MyKey that had no limits, etc. This could help bring on a whole new generation of Mustang enthusiasts who's parents might otherwise opt for the "safer" and "more reliable" import over the "way too fast" Mustang.

This would also be great for valet parking. Drive there with the go-fast key, and then give the limited key to the valet so your ride doesn't get Ferris Bueller'ed!

-Nick

Valet Key's would be nice. Keeps RPM under 2000RPM or so.

As far as limiting the children i still don't like it. 80MPH limit is pointless. 80 is still fast. You can get killed at 35MPH. Ringing the seat belt chime and limiting volume is also pointless in my opinion.

If anything it's another method of relying on someone or something else to be a substitute for raising your kids.