Ford Racing 65mm Throttle Body questions

ainsua13

Feb 12, 2002
California
What does your car idle at with this part? My idle jumped up to almost 1200 rpm after with this TB. After seeing this, I compared the stop screw adjustment to the stock TB and found it set close to the middle (car idled at 750 rpm with this) and the Ford Racing screw was almost bottomed out. I then set the stop screw on the Ford Racing to match the stocker. It now idles in the 750 rpm range. Does changing this affect power? Also, I bought this part USED and am wondering if it comes like this from Ford Racing or does anyone think it was adjusted by previous owner? Thanks in advance!

• Sponsors (?)

by idle screw i take it your refering to the small allen head set screw, covered by the grey plug on the top of the t/b? Thats what you would use to adjust the idle speed...

Simply unplug the IAC, start the car, and let it idle.. if it doesnt want to stay idling, or idles super low.. then go over to the idle adjustment screw and adjust it, to the point of where the car idles just low enough to stay running.. Or adjust it, then try to start it agian, untill it stays idling on its own.
After you have it idling, then plug the IAC back in, and you shoudl be good to go.

You might have to play around with this alittle, to get it right.
But remember to set it with the IAC unplugged, to the point of where its ilding just low enough to stay running. ( dont set your desired idle speed with the IAC unplugged)

i was turning that screw with the IAC plugged in and car on. i guess this was wrong. i'm still a little confused. so i unplug the iac then start the car and adjust the screw until desired idle speed. then turn car off and plugg iac back in????????????is that right?????????

p.s. i have the stock tb, but i want to bump the idle up a couple hundred rpm's.

thanks

do you think the 65mm ford throttle body is better or a 70mm bbk, which one will i get more power out of, and which one will make more of a difference with a stock intake? also does anyone know what size throttle body our cars come stock with? thanks

I think they.....

I am pretty sure that they come stock with a 65mm throttle body. I know the 87-93's come with 60mm. In my opinion a 70mm is better, but I am not really sure how it will do with a stock intake.

cb18201 said:
do you think the 65mm ford throttle body is better or a 70mm bbk, which one will i get more power out of, and which one will make more of a difference with a stock intake? also does anyone know what size throttle body our cars come stock with? thanks

cb18201 said:

The ford racing unit is going to be of a lot better quality than the BBK. It also includes a new TPS. If you are staying NA then 65mm is all you need, 70 is just overkill. If you get too big you will start to kill velocity and lose power. I would highly recommend the Ford Racing unit over the BBK.