Ford Racing Crate Rear-End with broken pinion flange...

jd-hart

Jun 29, 2005
Greensboro, NC
Just bought a Ford Racing Crate 8.8 3.73 rear-end equipped for 31 spline axles. It came from Jegs and when I opened up the box, the pinion flange was broken in half.

This item has been discontinued through Ford, and I am not sure that I can get another one if I send it back. I bought the rear-end because I have no clue on setting up gears.

Do I have to do anything special to replace this? Is it going to affect any of the ring and pinion set-up?

Thanks in advance....

• Sponsors (?)

I would get on the horn right away with jegs I'm sure they didn't sell out of them and there is a warehosue they can get another one from. funny but I noticed for has discontinued a few items, including some 5.0 motors :shrug:. must be starting to walk away from the fox stuff.

This particular rear-end 3.73's with 31 spline axles has been discontinued from Ford Racing. M-4006-C373. This was Jegs last one. Summit doesn't have any either.

I would do that if I could get another one, but was hoping that I could put a new flange on and still be good to go. With Jegs paying for it though...

Did you try calling ford racing to see if there is any inventory? Jegs gets them from ford racing, if ford has some then you should be able to go through jegs to have ford drop ship one to you. might also be worth to talk to ford about the problem and see what they can offer. yes you could maybe repair it but you payed for a brand new rearend not a broken one and I'm leaning towards what Shakerhood stated about other possible damage. If you can get jegs to agree to pay to repair it, although I think it will be a slim chance, make sure to include having a shop open that thing up and check everything out. I hope everything work out for you in the end, let us know what happens.best of luck.

Did you try calling ford racing to see if there is any inventory? Jegs gets them from ford racing, if ford has some then you should be able to go through jegs to have ford drop ship one to you. might also be worth to talk to ford about the problem and see what they can offer. yes you could maybe repair it but you payed for a brand new rearend not a broken one and I'm leaning towards what Shakerhood stated about other possible damage. If you can get jegs to agree to pay to repair it, although I think it will be a slim chance, make sure to include having a shop open that thing up and check everything out. I hope everything work out for you in the end, let us know what happens.best of luck.

if he calls ford directly and actually gets a call back, id be amazed.

if they then actually get him what he needs, it would be a miracle.

not that i have any direct experience with dealing ford, but every other major company out there right now seems to ignore any calls like this in hopes that you will give up and go away
http://www.stangnet.com/mustang-forums/images/smilies/rolleyes.gif

Call this # for ford racing..1-800-FORD788 (367-3788) I have called them before and talked to a tech person with ?'s & never had a problem. asked them about rebuild kits for the rearend, which speedo gear I needed, asked about the cobra diff, etc. I always got someone and they helped out.

Couldnt you just order the 31 spline axles,diff,gears and have someone install them in a rearend for less that what the thing cost you?Just return the damn thing like said before if it broke that flange it prolly tweaked something else.

I talked with Jegs and I am going to send it back. Ford Racing has discontinued them. Ford Racing advised that the impact that it took to break the flange, probably caused some other issues.

I have not found anybody in my area that will setup gears for less than $300 labor. You add that to the cost of the 31 spline ls, gears, install kit and you come real close to what I paid for it. And I can still sell my other housing.

For me, it just seemed like a better deal and I didn't have to leave my car at the shop.

Thanks for the replies.