Fork on the road (manual or power)??

Fostang

Founding Member
May 8, 2002
Stockton, Ca
I've come to a fork on the road I can either go with a manual rack or a power rack at this point. I don't know if I would be happy with either one right now.

I'm looking for ideas suggestions pros and cons you guys can give me.

Basic background on the car.

67 fastback, m2 suspension, 13" baers, manual brakes with autoworks dual master cylinder, engine wise is a twin t67 turbo'd dart blocked 408. Should top out at 900-1100 rwhp when the boost is really turned up. But will probably keep it around 700 rwhp.

I'm not looking to make it a full race car and all of the accesories fit with the turbos. AC/PS(if needed)/alternator/etc.

How dificult would it be to drive it with a manual steering set up. It does have an auto tranny.

Also what about steerin columns I've looked at both the ididit and flaming river. Seems like the ididit is the best bank for the buck.

• Sponsors (?)

Well having driven several cars with and without power steering (75 Mustang II Ghia R&P, 64 Falcon 22:1, & 66 GT Mustang 16:1.) I would say go for the power steering. Its not so bad on the road w/o it but when it comes time to park or move around in the driveway you'll be glad you had it. Especially w/ wider than stock tires on the front. Even the Falcon w/ the 22:1 box it was still no fun. Mind you all these cars have/had V8s. The only other car I had was a Karmann Ghia that did not have power steering and I could palm the wheel at low speeds around 90* turns but not parking lot speeds. However that is an entirely different animal as the engine was in the back.

I vote for manual steering...but then I always do, I tend to like to keep things as simple as possible when it comes to anything run off of the engine....I don't mind low speed turning w/o power steering, but then I don't mind not having A/C either, in my view my car is not a daily driver so it simply doesn't need the luxury. I went for the manual rack on my MII kit....I havent installed the steering column yet, but I can still easily turn the wheels manually(gripping the wheel and turning it) w/ engine and tranny in place, which leads me to believe it will be even easier than my neon at low speeds(the neon has a disconnected power rack)

p.s. you have a picture of that dual master cylinder installed? I'm curious as to whether it would clear the 4.6L as a better option for me than power brakes

You will never be happy with manual if you have big sticky tires on the car and I bet with 700hp you do. Manual is fine for stock set ups but falls way short with a high peformance set up. I tried it both ways and now have power R&P on both my cars. The steering column I used is a flaming river unit because he new how to set it up length wise for the rack. You can not use the standard length. The only problem I found with it was taht it was slightly smaller tube dia. and I had to fab up a spacer so it would clamp to the fire wall and dash properly. I don't know if this would be a problem on a 67 though. The power steering pump is the biggest hassel in all this. You can go any where from stock to $800 and they all work. I used a set up from Toms Bronco Parts.com and it works great

+1 on power. It will also allow the option of using a low profile Hydroboost brake booster.

I put a power steering delete on my '68 with the original 16:1 power box and it takes a bit of muscle with 225 tires at low speed. That's with a light aluminum-headed 302 and no extra weight from a 351W or turbo system.

Here is a video of my car at Laguna Seca with a Tcp Man Rack. I run 245 45 17
tires up front and it is a little tough in a parking lot, but the feedback at speed is amazing. You can feel the front tires starting to slip away in the steering wheel.

YouTube - Greg G | Mustang GT500 | Session 1615 | Laguna Seca

Here are a couple of photos.

Attachments

• _W1D5070.jpg
    _W1D5070.jpg
    57.1 KB · Views: 96
  • _W1D6430.jpg
    _W1D6430.jpg
    50 KB · Views: 84
question along the same line...

for those of you who have gone to a manual rack, is the steering effort roughly the same from stock manual box to manual R&P,
I currently have a manual box, run 245 tires up front and am happy with it, but I do plan on changing to R&P soon and am curious if there is much difference

thanks
gtss

I have always preferred a manual rack and have done so in my 65. I had a 95 Cobra with 285 wide tires in the front with a manual rack and of course it took a little extra effort parking, but to me it was worth it. I believe it comes down to personal preference.

Another question that should be asked is whether the older guys prefer a power rack and the younger ones a manual rack or that age doesn't matter?

Well I ended up going with the majority vote of power steering.

Ordered up the rack with bushings and ends along with the steering shaft and joints and an ididit column. :)

wicked93gs- the idea of that master cylinder has been scraped. I got ready to order it last week and I found an electric master cylinder from ABS that I think I'm going to try out.

I would but I'm already clutering the engine compartment with all the turbo piping and power steering ac lines etc etc.

What I'm going to do is probably hold off on this part and test fit everything and decide if I have enough room for the hydroboost. If not electric for sure.

It always depends on what your purpose of the car is.
If your purpose is to have 700 horse with a turbo, then obviosly you're not concerned with keeping it looking like original at all.
I'd go power steering if I were you.