Found A '91 Notch 4cyl, 5-speed How Bad Is A V8 Conversion?

Discussion in 'Fox 5.0 Mustang Tech' started by The_Dude, Sep 17, 2013.

1. Notches seem to be few and far between around here. Hatchbacks are a dime a dozen. It seems like I could buy a cheap v8 hatchback and swap the v8 parts. Is it worth it?
  2. For what a V8 is going for these days. Forget it. There are a lot of differences.

stykthyn likes this.
  3. keep looking
  4. Agreed. By the time you are done swapping over everything and the price for two cars, you could have bought a V8 notch. You need to pretty much swap the entire drivetrain, brakes, suspension, harness and then you still have a car that is titled as a 4 banger when you go and try to sell it, which people will always question if it was a hack job or not.
  5. cheaper insurance for a 4 banger but unless your giving it to a 16yr old as a car, probably not worth it.
    unless someone gave you one of those cars :spot:
  6. Just about the only common parts between a 4 cylinder Mustang and a 5.0 is the body and upholstery. Almost everything else is either 5.0 or 4 cylinder specific. You end up buying two cars and stripping the 5.0 car for parts to put on the 4 cylinder car. Not worth the effort unless you get both cars in excellent shape for $500 a piece, and have a shop with all the tools needed for a complete tear down and rebuild.
  7. I converted to my current 89, and I would not do it again - it's too much work. Here's a link to an article I wrote shortly after doing it.
  8. Thanks for saving me the headaches. Sounds like way too much work.