Found a turbo to replace my IHI

rgosulliv

Founding Member
Aug 10, 2001
Lawrenceville NJ
Haven't been around in a while, been working more on my new car than my 2.3 recently. I just got a new reason to play with the 2.3 some more though. I picked this up for a friend of mine for cheap.

Attachments

• t1.jpg
    t1.jpg
    75.1 KB · Views: 115
  • t2.jpg
    t2.jpg
    64.4 KB · Views: 116
  • Sponsors (?)

Man long time no see, Im happy to see some of the old guys come back to say hey. Is that a T3 from an SVO? Thats a sweet Mach 1 you have, my buddy has one too and its a bad ass car. :nice:

Dan P. said:
Man long time no see, Im happy to see some of the old guys come back to say hey. Is that a T3 from an SVO? Thats a sweet Mach 1 you have, my buddy has one too and its a bad ass car. :nice:

Thanks, I love the Mach, tons of fun.

as for what the turbo is out of I'm not really sure to be honest with you. I was kind of hoping someone on here could help me out with that.

Info I know about is:
Garrett
.63/.70
M43 stamped on intake side

It is definitely not an SVO compressor; the SVO T3 has a 2-bolt flange on the compressor inlet, not a regular slip-fit. That looks like a T3/T4 hybrid turbo similar to all the junky Chinese copies on Ebay, except the compressor actually says Garrett.

From a bit of googling the best I can tell is that it was a Chrysler turbo or at least that's what people have used it for.

"The Super 70 Unit
This unit is a Garrett T04 unit usually with a ported 0.48 A/R exhaust housing and features a 50mm/70mm compressor wheel. The smaller A/R ratio results in an earlier spool-up than the 0.63 A/R, but it still has more lag. One advantage of the Super 70 is that it produces more air output at lower engine speeds than the Super 60 because of the larger compressor wheel. So if you can get a Super 70 with a 0.63 A/R housing, it yields more engine output in the mid-range than the Super 60, but takes longer to get there (turbo lag) because of the bigger wheel.
Like the Super 60, the smaller A/R does limit the realistic boost output to about 21psi. A clipped exhaust turbine will yield a couple of psi more. A 0.63 A/R housing on this turbo will probably yield boost levels up to 30psi or more! Another problem associated with the Super 70 and the 0.48 exhaust housing is driveability. Gus Mahon's experience with it is that the small housing caused the turbo to spin more like a stock Turbo I or II and the large compressor wheel generated way too much pressure at part throttle. The result is a pressure surge that builds up in the turbo output hose and makes driving smoothly at part throttle very difficult. This turbo with the 0.48 A/R housing should only be used for racing.
Make: Garrett (AlliedSignal)
Use: Performance Upgrade
Downpipe Size: 2 1/2"
Swing Valve: ?
Exhaust Scroll: 0.48 A/R
Exhaust Turbine: Standard Chrysler
Compressor Inducer: 50mm
Compressor Exducer: 70mm "

highligted in red is what I have. 70mm Compresser, 63mm Turbine

when it cools down outside (it's been over 100* the past few days) I'll start cleaning it up and seeing what needs to be done to get it in the car.

-Ryan