Found oil puddled on timing cover (pics)

YELLOW 94

Founding Member
Nov 19, 1999
Rio Rancho NM
Last night I decided to try and fix my dip stick oil leak. I noticed on both heads that oil was between the block and the head. Got me nervous. I started looking around and noticed two oil puddles on both side off the timing cover. Im thinking its the intake manifold leaking out of the corners. What do you think. Pics below.

Also what does antifreeze look like in the oil. Does it look like a milky cloud in the oil or should you be able to see it pool together. I noticed that my oil was a little milky with a white haze to it.

I figure if the intake gasket is leaking then the water might be getting in to the oil through the lifter galley.

Attachments

• DSCN2934.1.JPG
    DSCN2934.1.JPG
    24.4 KB · Views: 182
  • DSCN2931.1.JPG
    DSCN2931.1.JPG
    19.1 KB · Views: 178
  • Sponsors (?)

Last night I decided to try and fix my dip stick oil leak. I noticed on both heads that oil was between the block and the head. Got me nervous. I started looking around and noticed two oil puddles on both side off the timing cover. Im thinking its the intake manifold leaking out of the corners. What do you think. Pics below.

Also what does antifreeze look like in the oil. Does it look like a milky cloud in the oil or should you be able to see it pool together. I noticed that my oil was a little milky with a white haze to it.

I figure if the intake gasket is leaking then the water might be getting in to the oil through the lifter galley.

I've never had to deal with the oil / coolant mix, but I did have both intake ends blow out after I eliminated the vacuum hose from the valve cover to the intake tube. I had the same situation with the oil puddles, just worse. My .02 Good luck with it!

Scott

I've never had to deal with the oil / coolant mix, but I did have both intake ends blow out after I eliminated the vacuum hose from the valve cover to the intake tube. I had the same situation with the oil puddles, just worse. My .02 Good luck with it!

Scott

So your saying you say pooling in the same place i am seeing it.

The oil leak is my dumb ass fault, I used the cork ends on the intake manifold.

I gonna pull the intake tonight and hope I get luck that it is the gasket.

Any one else on the antifreeze and oil mix.

later
Orlie

I used to get a little puddle of antifreeze in that spot for a while, but it was coming from the water pump gasket (I saw it coming out of there), but that got cured when I had to replace the pump. Never saw oil there before...
Is the rest of the coolant in the radiator clean (bright green) or is it also brown and oily-looking?

I used to get a little puddle of antifreeze in that spot for a while, but it was coming from the water pump gasket (I saw it coming out of there), but that got cured when I had to replace the pump. Never saw oil there before...
Is the rest of the coolant in the radiator clean (bright green) or is it also brown and oily-looking?

The coolant is still green, engine has 300 miles on it. The only thing I can figure is the intake is leaking.

later
Orlie

You will know if antifreeze is in the oil when you pull the dipstick after it runs. It is very obvious. You will also notice your coolant level dropping. Change your oil after the car sits overnight and the antifreeze will be the first thing out the plug if there is any, or dump the mixture into a clear jug and let it separate.

I've had good luck with the rubber end seals and high crankcase pressure - I put them on dry, with a dab of black RTV in the corners. I feel better about the rubber seals with a boosted application, however, I have always done the bead of RTV for N/A without problems.

Wes

You will know if antifreeze is in the oil when you pull the dipstick after it runs. It is very obvious. You will also notice your coolant level dropping. Change your oil after the car sits overnight and the antifreeze will be the first thing out the plug if there is any, or dump the mixture into a clear jug and let it separate.

I've had good luck with the rubber end seals and high crankcase pressure - I put them on dry, with a dab of black RTV in the corners. I feel better about the rubber seals with a boosted application, however, I have always done the bead of RTV for N/A without problems.

Wes

What gasket set do you use to get the rubber end seals.

I drained a quart out of the pan, the car had been sitting for 2 days. I did not notice any coolant come out. The coolant level is not dropping in the radiator.

later
Orlie

I believe it comes in the parts store FelPro set - I have quite a few sets of various gaskets lying around the shop that I've built up over the years, so I have not bought them in a while. The parts store will be able to crack the box open and tell you which ones have it.

Good to hear on the coolant, that is a good sign. :nice:

Wes

What gasket set do you use to get the rubber end seals.

I drained a quart out of the pan, the car had been sitting for 2 days. I did not notice any coolant come out. The coolant level is not dropping in the radiator.

later
Orlie
the fel-pro set i used when i installed the holley lower for the kenne-bell had rubber gaskets for the and front and back ridges of the lower intake.

part number MS93334

I have had great luck with just RTV.

I would still be leary of the oil. It should not be milky with a haze to it. I think you may have a coolant leak into the oil, maybe a small one. It gets whipped up into the oil. I would keep checking it could get worse. You may have a head gasket just starting. You could do a oil analysis and they could tell you right away. I use the Oil analysis lab in Spokane, wa. Here is a link www.oillab.com

If you are just starting to loose one it's better to catch it now before it really blows into your oil and dilutes it while you are running. Also for your own peace of mind it would be worth it especially for only $21.95.

12lbs of boost and a 50shot on a 302 unless everything is perfect it's just a matter of time. Do you have head studs and good gaskets? This helps alot, much better than head bolts.

I have had great luck with just RTV.

I would still be leary of the oil. It should not be milky with a haze to it. I think you may have a coolant leak into the oil, maybe a small one. It gets whipped up into the oil. I would keep checking it could get worse. You may have a head gasket just starting. You could do a oil analysis and they could tell you right away. I use the Oil analysis lab in Spokane, wa. Here is a link www.oillab.com

If you are just starting to loose one it's better to catch it now before it really blows into your oil and dilutes it while you are running. Also for your own peace of mind it would be worth it especially for only $21.95.

12lbs of boost and a 50shot on a 302 unless everything is perfect it's just a matter of time. Do you have head studs and good gaskets? This helps alot, much better than head bolts.

Im not running the nos anymore (havent updated my profile). The heads have been ported polished and shaved, the block was zero decked and im running MLS head gaskets from Mr Gasket. Also using ARP head studs.

The engine has 300 miles on it of light driving, I dont think its a head gasket. I know more tonight.

later
Orlie

Im not running the nos anymore (havent updated my profile). The heads have been ported polished and shaved, the block was zero decked and im running MLS head gaskets from Mr Gasket. Also using ARP head studs.

The engine has 300 miles on it of light driving, I dont think its a head gasket. I know more tonight.

later
Orlie

Orlie,
I see that makes a big difference!

I had to run some Mr. Gasket intake gaskets that are 2 times thicker than normal...I can't remember what the part # is. My block has been decked more than once and the intake does not very good. I don't really want to shave a $2500 intake to fit this combo when I can just buy thicker gaskets. If I used standard thickness I would have a coolant leak.

Good luck, Let us know what you find out!

Tom

So your saying you say pooling in the same place i am seeing it.

The oil leak is my dumb ass fault, I used the cork ends on the intake manifold.

later
Orlie

Yep, I actually didn't see it when it started. Since it was leaking from both ends, it spewed it down onto my X pipe and I saw the smoke before I saw the leak. Happened on the way to the dyno of all things. :nonono: Oh well, still put down 265 horse and 300 pounds of torque on the stock cam with no tune. Not bad I suppose. :rolleyes:

Good luck figuring it all out!

Scott

Good timing on this post as I'm trying to track down a coolant leak that is pooling in the same area. Besides the water pump, could coolant be seeping from the head/lower intake into this area? I also have a small leak coming from the rear of the engine somewhere around the back of the heads/intake. Kinda why I'm thinking cyl heads cause it's definitely not the heater hoses. I'm gonna run a pressure test to see if I can find it for sure, but you guys got any thoughts?

As for the original post, I had an engine with a cracked block once and the oil was definietly the color of chocolate milk. If your oil is milky looking, you got coolant in it.

Thanks

Yellow94,
Check around the distributor, there is an o-ring that seals the distributor that gets pretty hard over time, I once had blow by making oil come out there, a new o-ring stopped that. But the oil did lay on tip the water pump like yours.
Stan

Yellow94,
Check around the distributor, there is an o-ring that seals the distributor that gets pretty hard over time, I once had blow by making oil come out there, a new o-ring stopped that. But the oil did lay on tip the water pump like yours.
Stan

I'll check that before I pull the intake. Do you know what sive o-ring it is. I would of checked it to day but the old lady had me landscaping.

later
Orlie