Found out I'm diabetic

I happened to work as an RN Health Educator for a Diabetes Disease Management wellness program for a major company here in Illinois. I talk to people with diabetes all day long, every day. It is a very manageable condition that takes time, education, and motivation to stay on top of. If you ever need any help or information regarding diabetes in any aspect, feel free to e-mail me. Take care.

Jon

• Sponsors (?)

Hey guys. First off I'd like to thank all of you for your support and comments. This forum kicks ass :SNSign: . So Thursday I was emitted to the ER because my blood sugar was extremely high. I'm glad I didn't go into shock. They just monitored my blood sugar and gave me insuline from time to time. But now I'm home and everything's fine. It's weird opening the refrigerator and struggling to find food LOL. I'm sure with time things will get easier, and I'll exactly what to eat when to eat. Thanks again guys :) .

Tanner

the98stang said:
Hey guys. First off I'd like to thank all of you for your support and comments. This forum kicks ass :SNSign: . So Thursday I was emitted to the ER because my blood sugar was extremely high. I'm glad I didn't go into shock. They just monitored my blood sugar and gave me insuline from time to time. But now I'm home and everything's fine. It's weird opening the refrigerator and struggling to find food LOL. I'm sure with time things will get easier, and I'll exactly what to eat when to eat. Thanks again guys :) .

Tanner

best of luck to you man. Just remember, while it may suck to have it, it is completely controllable... how it affects you is completely up to you. Take care :)

the98stang said:
Well my dads side of the family has been know for the disease. I'm not overweight, but I'm very skinny. I use to weight about 160lbs now I'm down to 123lbs, and I'm 5' 11''. I lost 30lbs over two months. I feel stupid though because I have probably had diabetis for months now. I know this because I've had the symptoms for a while. I was drinking massive amounts of water, but I thought it was because of exercising.
Sorry to hear that Tanner.It has alot to do with your jenes and
not really your health altogether.If you are that skinny you are
probably very healthy just moniter and watch your blood sugar.
Live long and prosper Tanner. :D

Hey Tanner...man im very sorry to hear about that :(. But like everyone said, its as hard as adjusting your diet :nice: . I know alot of people with diabetes...and honestly I would never know it if I didnt hear about it from them, or others.

You will be in my prayers...you will make it through this. That N20 kit is going to put a big smile back on your face :D .

hotmustang331 said:
Hey Tanner...man im very sorry to hear about that :(. But like everyone said, its as hard as adjusting your diet :nice: . I know alot of people with diabetes...and honestly I would never know it if I didnt hear about it from them, or others.

You will be in my prayers...you will make it through this. That N20 kit is going to put a big smile back on your face :D .

I appreciate your prayers :)

And yes, I can't wait to spray!

One other suggestion for you. Before you get behind the wheel...test your BG. Every time. (I wish my kid would do that, but she's as hard-headed as her old man sometimes.) The potential for a low BG episode is bad enough, but having one while you're running around in your Stang is nuts.

I'm deadly serious about this. A friend of my daughter (they were diabetes camp counselors together) died in a car wreck this summer, and I really suspect he crashed because he had a low.

Susky said:
One other suggestion for you. Before you get behind the wheel...test your BG. Every time. (I wish my kid would do that, but she's as hard-headed as her old man sometimes.) The potential for a low BG episode is bad enough, but having one while you're running around in your Stang is nuts.

I'm deadly serious about this. A friend of my daughter (they were diabetes camp counselors together) died in a car wreck this summer, and I really suspect he crashed because he had a low.

yea I'm checking my blood sugar quite often. They have me on basic insulin now because the oral meds didn't work (this is because I'm most likely type 1). I'll be seeing a diebetic doctor in a couple of weeks.

I had a roommate who had type 1. She led a normal life just like anyone else. Heck I used to inject her insulin for her...just to see if I could do it.

She would get out of it when her sugar was low though. My GF and I came home one day and she was passed out on the floor. I called her BF at work (my best friend) and told him what happened. He told me what to do and said he was on his way. He worked 45 minutes away but got there in 15...5.0 Capri...

She had been working alot and not eating like she should.

Anyway as long as you take care of yourself you will be OK...it's really a manageable disease if you take care of yourself.

Hey man don't worry about it. I have been diabetic since I was 10 (20 now) and it's not that bad. The injections don't really hurt unless you do it wrong but you wiill get the hang of it. Checking your glucose levels (blood sugar) hurts more but still it's not horrible. Sure it sucks sometimes when you will get sick from eating something that you shouldnt. My advice however, don't limit yourself from eating. If you are hungry and they tell you you can't eat for another 2 hours or something forget that. Just eat whenever but do it in a responsible manner. Still you may not have to take insulin anyways, there are several different pills that help regulate everything out now. So yeah....don't worry cause it couldve been worse news.....like you could have gotten HIV from some girlfriend you've had. Or boyfriend....not my thing but hey if you swing that way j/k man. Anyways, it's not that bad.....just a little annoying sometimes.

i am a type 1 and that is insulin dependant, i have had it for almost 20 years now. Be very carfull and keep it under control, i passed out behind the wheel on the highway because of a insulin reaction and hit someone head on at 65mph. Watch your diet and test often dude this **** is very serious, i am now having eye sight trouble so just a word of caution keep it under control and dont abuse it because it will defeat you.

Get a nutrionist to help you start making a diet plan, this is the most important thing you can do. Also if you have to do injections, change the location, my dad's sromach is rock hard from 20 years 2x a day always in the same area. His moods get bad with blood sugar problems, eat at set times, carry juice with you in case of problems and get a proper diet damnit!

My dad has Type 1, but I luck out since I am adopted.