Found redneck subframe connectors on my new Coupe

TexasFireman

15 Year Member
Jun 12, 2008
Beaumont Tx
For starters, when I bought the car the other day, the guy told me it already had sub-frame connectors. I glanced under there and sure enough it did. Well today, I was pulling the carpet out to clean it, and found my first big disappointment in the car. Someone made some homemade through the floor sub-frame connectors, and never even welded the floor pan. Not to mention, they didnt cut very close. Which explain the noise level lol.

544e22f2.jpg

c5403eed.jpg

Been trying to decide which way to go. The options I've been considering are:

1) Just have the floor pans welded up with the existing sub-frame connectors still in place

2) Remove the connectors, weld the pans up and do regular sub-frame connectors

3) Remove the existing connectors, order some new through the floor sub-frame connectors from somebody like Wolfe, and have them installed properly, and floor pans welded accordingly.

I don't like doing things more than once, so I've been really leaning towards the third choice. I'm not a welder at all, so I'd definitely have to have it done somewhere. I'm in Beaumont Tx, about an hour east of Houston, but can take it anywhere (within a reasonable distance).

• Sponsors (?)

I found a chassis shop in Baytown, about an hour from me, that comes highly recommended. I called and talked to him, and emailed him some pictures. He's going to tear everything out and redo it for me, like it should have been done the first time. Going to do a Wolfe style setup. Going to add the "outriggers" that go the rockers, which will be good for a cage down the road. Going to be a couple of weeks before he can get to it though. He has a couple cars ahead of me to finish. Looking forward to having it done!!

I'm probably going to get the old SFC's taken off tomorrow. Any ideas what I could cover the holes with until he can get it in to fix it? I don't like having it open. Was thinking maybe a couple of layers of dynomat or something.

Reactions: 1 user
Dropped it off today!!! While he has it he's going to:

Rip the old Sub-frame connectors out
Build all new Wolfe Racing style through the floor SFC's with the "outriggers" that tie to the rockers
Makeover on the Torque Boxes
Weld in my 5-spd transmission tunnel piece
Roll my fenders

Cant wait to get it back!!

Dropped it off today!!! While he has it he's going to:

Rip the old Sub-frame connectors out
Build all new Wolfe Racing style through the floor SFC's with the "outriggers" that tie to the rockers
Makeover on the Torque Boxes
Weld in my 5-spd transmission tunnel piece
Roll my fenders

Cant wait to get it back!!

^^that's the way to do it!

Post pics when it's done.

Picked the car up today. He ended up doing the following:

Ripped old SFC's out
Built and installed new ones along with fixing the sheet metal and sealing it all correctly
Welded up torque boxes and installed Wild Rides kit reinforcements
Cleaned up a bunch of rust I had on the rear frame rails and coated them
Installed and welded up my 5-spd transmission "hump"
Fenders were already rolled (I hadn't even looked lol) so he didn't have to do those

I'm very happy with how everything turned out. The only mix up we had was the outriggers on the SFC's. He didn't put any in, but can be done later if I ever put a cage in. I would definitely recommend him if anyone needs any work done. Mcilwaine's Race Cars in Baytown is the name of the shop. He has some incredible cars in there he is working on.

I don't have any underneath pictures, but they look about like every other torque box reinforcements. Here are a couple of the SFC's and the trans tunnel. The black stuff you see is sealer:

0280ea1f.jpg

eaac784d.jpg

ef9593f1.jpg

0fe56487.jpg