Paint and Body Fox Body Painting 101

@Davedacarpainter

I already got the plastic bar next to the window off and painted some time ago.

The door trim that I need to remove now is the metal trim that looks like the windshield trim. Does it use the same tool as the windshield trim?

I sanded through the black paint on the trim in a few places. Is it advisable to prime it before applying the SEM black trim paint? Should I prime the whole trim strip or just the places that I sanded through the paint to bare metal?
You are talking about the trim that goes around the frame for the window, right? And not the belt moulding?

• Sponsors (?)

I've got two t-tops, so I can't look at that trim. But if memory serves me properly, it's a press on piece of trim.

Mike just did his, let's ask him. @madmike1157 ?

I would sand and primer the whole piece of trim myself. The primer helps with adhesion and gives a small layer of "padding" under your top coat.
If you are talking about the aluminum "cap" that sits on the door frame around the window glass, that just peels off. It's held on simply from a tight fit. I just got a screw driver under an edge, and started prying it off a little at a time.
If your talking about the drop rail, it's held on with a couple of screws at the front back edge ( i think) if that is the case, after the screws are removed, that trim sits on the pinch weld and is held on with little friction clips,..it just pulls off.

if you mean the piece right above the door, theres one screw at the base of the a-pillar and then its a a few clips and some gooey glue/sealer (at least mine had the sealer, nasty stuff) and it just peels off like a piece of weatherstrip.
That's plastic and I have already taken care of that.

It's the metal trim around the sides and top of the door window frame. It looks a lot like the metal trim around the top and sides of the windshield.

That's plastic and I have already taken care of that.

It's the metal trim around the sides and top of the door window frame. It looks a lot like the metal trim around the top and sides of the windshield.
In that case, what mike said.

I would pry lightly(relatively) out from the window side with your fingers. Start at one end, once it's started, you can do like mike says and slip a screw driver under it and walk it the rest of the way off.

Post a picture, if you wouldn't mind. It would be good for people to see how it comes off.

I noticed 2 things:
1.) The painter does a very good job of consistently maintaining the same distance between the tip of the spray gun and the surface being painted.
2.) The painter maintains the same speed and timing as he sweeps the spray gun over what he is spraying.

That means steady hands and don't be in a hurry. Don't paint when you are hung over, have had too much caffeine, or having a nicotine fit...

Of course, you could say that about almost anything that requires concentration and a clear mind...

Reactions: 1 users
I have a @jrichker might possibly answer question.
Can I make my own tfi relocation kit ?

Like splicing/extending the OE pigtails etc?
IMG_1183.JPG

Sorry Dave, last derail I'll do for a while :)

Reactions: 1 user
Uhm, his style of painting is different than mine. Really can't say much more. It may work for him.

No offense Joe, but he pulls right to left quicker than left to right.

I don't really like critiquing other painters too much unless they are the ones asking me too. Or they're just clowns that i want to ridicule.
If it helps I think he's just spraying some single stage hot rod black

Uhm, his style of painting is different than mine. Really can't say much more. It may work for him.

No offense Joe, but he pulls right to left quicker than left to right.

I don't really like critiquing other painters too much unless they are the ones asking me too. Or they're just clowns that i want to ridicule.
That's were a practiced eye picks up things that the rest of us don't notice...

I have a @jrichker might possibly answer question.
Can I make my own tfi relocation kit ?

Like splicing/extending the OE pigtails etc?
IMG_1183.JPG

Sorry Dave, last derail I'll do for a while :)
Looks like it should work; the hard part is getting a weather tight electrical connection where the PIP sensor inside the distributor connects to the TFI module.

Thought I'd share a question I had for Dave today, that may help someone else. I was going over each panel on the car, looking for blemishes and anything I might have missed. The car will be a daily driver, not a show car, but, the car is black and we know how that will magnify every flaw. After wet sanding, I found a low spot on the door by wetting the panel with wax and grease remover. I asked Dave, if I filled the spot with glazing putty, would the black base coat hide the repair or should I shoot the repair with primer. Dave said the filler would absorb the paint and leave an obvious stain. So primer over filler, even if the repair is very small. Thanks Dave, I appreciate it :nice:

Last edited:
When painting trim and trim like parts. What would you suggest? Sem?

In my application I need to reprint the entire t-top frame area, all of it was painted body color. I'm worried sem won't be very resistant to the constant removing and installing of the t tops.

With my car going back to black... I shouldn't just paint it with the rest should I?

When painting trim and trim like parts. What would you suggest? Sem?

In my application I need to reprint the entire t-top frame area, all of it was painted body color. I'm worried sem won't be very resistant to the constant removing and installing of the t tops.

With my car going back to black... I shouldn't just paint it with the rest should I?
You can, but the t-tops were a matte (ish) finish though.

I would go ahead and use the SEM stuff. If you happen to scratch it, it's an easy fix.

Ok, really thinking of using this.

Says it's dtm and sandible for top coat. Seems real good for a budget job

Thoughts

http://www.tamcopaint.com/hpdtmgr2kprw.html
Sounds fine to me. I would definitely reduce it though. It says that it could be made into a sealer by reduction alone. I wouldn't if i were you. Primers are more porous and don't have the necessary resins to be a real sealer. Just as a primer though, sure.