Fox Body

Tyler Edwards

Jan 19, 2017
I'm new to the mustang game, and picked up a 93 lx recently. No motor or trans. Piecing everything together right now. Does anyone know if swapping an 88 5.0 t5 setup in the car would cause any problems with wiring or if it would just drop in?

• Sponsors (?)

Hey Tyler, welcome to stangnet.

I'll move your thread over to the '79-'95 tech subforum. You'll get help there. You might change the title to a shortened version of this problem. That'll help draw in the right people to help you.

Was the car originally an auto or manual will be asked early on. Different computers for them.

No major changes occurred in the drivelines for 87-93, so you could take the mechanical engine and trans from a 1993 and put it into a 1987. You would just keep the wiring, ECU, etc from the host car.

The engine doesn't know what year it's in

No major changes occurred in the drivelines for 87-93, so you could take the mechanical engine and trans from a 1993 and put it into a 1987. You would just keep the wiring, ECU, etc from the host car.

The engine doesn't know what year it's in
Doesn't the auto have a different computer than the manual?

Doesn't the auto have a different computer than the manual?

Ah yes, that's the one watchout. Need to check the door tag to confirm original car was a 5spd 5.0 car as all. If it's a 2.3L a4ld car, you'll need different wiring and ECU

But enginewise I see the question posted about taking an 87-88 speed density motor and dropping it in a 89-93 original 5.0. That sort of swap is mechanical the same.