Fox diet... and what do things weigh??

bloopbloob

Sep 27, 2006
Alberta
Since i wont be putting down big numbers anytime soon, i'd like to cut some more weight on the stang. I will be getting a fiberglass hood in the future ( heat extractor), what does this save over the stock steel hood? I'm also wondering what else i can pull from anywhere that'll knock off some lbs, without ruining the interior, or losing much of what little comfort the fox does have (eg pwr windows). I've ditched the smog and a/c already, no spare. Where do i go from here? Is the sound deadener really worth the effort? What about the front and rear seats? I was thinking maye some race buckets or something. What do the stockers weigh (power seats). Any other tips? Anything in the engine bay? thx

• Sponsors (?)

I ditched the foglamps and bracket. The only prob that I ended up with is that the lower part of my grill opening started to sag.
Pulled up the carpet and stripped the underlayment off of it and all of the black sound deadener off the floor pans.
No spare or jack. Even when DD
Dogbone was gone when I got the car.
Some guys pull the metal frame for the dash and put the plastic back in. I wasn't willing to go that far.
Since my A/C still works and I live in FL there is no way in hell that I will pull the A/C out.

i kinda think i've done about all i'm willing to do without ripping apart a dash and stuff like that. but just looking for a couple things i may not have heard of before.
what kind of pain is the sound deadener removal? i've heard its a nightmare? what about any sensors/wiring/solenoids for my ac/smog being gone? i wouldnt mind cleaning up the engine a bit anyways... i've thought about the fogs, and i never use them.... but is the sagging common? anyone else had issues?

back seat in a hatch back is suppose to be about 60 lbs....a coupe rear seat is way lighter

everyone always asks me why I don't have subs in my car and I just tell them it's extra weight The car don't need. They just look at me funny lol

I have a spare fog light bracket and I would guess it weighs maby 6 or 7 pounds

The front sway bar is probly the same maby around 10 lbs

the spare tire and jack I would say around 30 lbs

The hood will be a big drop in weight. I bought mine with a fiberglass hood and when I lifted the hood on a fox with a stock hood I was surprised.
So Id say the hood is worth maybe 40lbs...

Like stated before the spare and jack weigh alot.
The rear seat in my coupe is maybe 10lbs total (seat and back included) Not worth it IMO.
A/C (if you can live without it) will weigh quite a bit, mostly just the compressor and condensor.
Stock seats weigh alot compared to Corbeaus, especially if you have power seats.

But unless you have a track only car I wouldnt take too much out.

40 LBS??? I don't think the stock hood weighs 40lbs, let alone going to fiberglass saving you that much. Cervinis hoods aren't much lighter than stock. They have bracing on the under side out the arse, plus they are quite thick. Other brands are lighter however, but the fit isn't as good.

Some other things you can do is an aluminum driveshaft, and theres the "dog bone" on the rear diff that you can remove. It's supposed to dampen vibrations, but most people don't notice any change when removing it.

Theres other things you can do as well, but some of them can be costly, like tubular suspension parts (control arms, k-member), coil overs, racing seats, fiberglass hatch/trunk, battery relocation (doesn't remove weight, but takes like 50lbs off the front and puts 50lbs in the back where you actually need it). The list goes on, and there's alot of factory **** you can remove, depending on how much of a sardine can you like driving in.

I have my car down to 2920lbs with 1/4 tank of gas in it and full interior except the stereo plus a big 'ol 408 up front. Plan on getting it in the 28xx range this winter.

I put on a cervini fiberglass hood, yanked the front sway bar, weld draglies and skinny tires up front, deleted the a/c, smog, power steering, battery in the trunk, no rear seat or brackets, no rear hatch carpet, replaced front seats with poly race seats , no console and pulled as much as of that sound deadening junk off the floor as possible.

If this is your daily driver though you might want to carefully consider what you are going to delete.......

Try relocating your battery to the trunk. Also the little compartment thing that folds up and down from the rear of the center console weighs at least 15 lbs. Mine fell off so I left it off.

I took the entire center console out. I used a 79-86 console delete E brake cover, and shifter cover. Also there is a peice of metal the center console mounts to in the rear that can be removed. To do the delete, you will need a 79-86 e brake assembly, which is also noticeably lighter.

Take the whole dash out, you don't need it. Also the HVAC stuff behind it.

Convert your doors to manual if not already. If your gonna cage it, take the crash bars out that are in the doors.

Remove the rear and pass. seats if not in use, remember the seat belts also, that is where the weight is. Switch to a manual seat track, it shaves ALOT of weight.

Prob. already mentioned are the front and rear crash bars, and absorbers, air bag stuff, ac/smog.

I'm going "hardcore" for my DD.

Alum dash built into the cage. Comp. Eng. steering shaft, Grant wheel. two alum seats, and 5 point harnesses. I removed all the sound deadening, but will reinstall the carpet and plastic panels (minus the dash) Cut out the spare tire well, and put a peice of alum. there (i needed to for my fuel cell) Tubular suspension, big & littles, fiberglass decklid and hood, thinking about a one peice fiberglass front end, and doors also.

It all depends on what you consider "streetable" Personally i've been driving my 4 banger around without a interior, only one seat, with the sound deadening removed, and I can't tell a difference in the ride quality than before.

40 LBS??? I don't think the stock hood weighs 40lbs, let alone going to fiberglass saving you that much. Cervinis hoods aren't much lighter than stock. They have bracing on the under side out the arse, plus they are quite thick. Other brands are lighter however, but the fit isn't as good.

I bought mine with a Kaneen hood and its at least half the weight of a stock hood.
I guess it depends on the type of fiberglass hood.

I must have some kinda weird rear seat in my notch. When I weighed it last year, it came up to something like 25 lbs. or so. I did run with a rear seat delete I made with sheetmetal for awhile, but got sick of all of the noise, so I threw the seat back in there for sound deadening. Doesn't take any tools to remove mine, and I don't have any seatbelts going to it, so it's strictly decorative, anyway. :D

all the sound deadening is worth about 20lbs if you are dedicated enough to get it out. your road noise will increase quite bit and engine heat radiated through the tranny will be very noticeable.

Its the thick material under your carpet and some body panels to keep the sound/heat out. I yanked all mine out, although I'm going to run a totally stripped interior.

Thats insulation. the sound deadner is the black stuff under the pading. Some guy on the corral removed that and all the insulation and it weighd almost 80lbs.. If you really wanna go all out you can cut the brace out of the doors and some out of the hatch area. There are also guys on the corral whol did crazy weight reduction and ran 12's on a stock 5.0.. As far as a stock hood it weighs less than 40lbs i had a harwood hood that weighed about 30lbs. Not really worth it IMO.