Fox Lake Stage II or Ported Stock Heads

bdp55

Jun 14, 2006
I recently bought 270 comp cams and want to install them here in the next few weeks. I want to upgrade my heads while I've got the top half of my motor apart and was wondering what you guys thought would be the best route. Would there be much of a difference if I just have my local machine shop (specializes in porting heads) do work on my stock heads and install larger valves or should I get Fox Lake Stage 2's? Opinions?

Thanks

• Sponsors (?)

you never know who your dealing with when it comes to local shop porting and how good a job its going to be.pretty much every aftermarket 4.6 head is just a ported stock one but they are all done by cnc machine.pretty much its your call but how much are they going to charge you compared to what new ones are if you send yours as a core?thats prob the best way to go about the decision,and just keep in mind that its not a situation where you say eh,if they port it and dont do a great job then it cant really hurt me because you really need to know what your taking down in there and it can deff hurt you performance wise.do the math

you never know who your dealing with when it comes to local shop porting and how good a job its going to be.pretty much every aftermarket 4.6 head is just a ported stock one but they are all done by cnc machine.pretty much its your call but how much are they going to charge you compared to what new ones are if you send yours as a core?thats prob the best way to go about the decision,and just keep in mind that its not a situation where you say eh,if they port it and dont do a great job then it cant really hurt me because you really need to know what your taking down in there and it can deff hurt you performance wise.do the math

I noticed you have fox lake stage 2's, how do you like them? I think I'm leaning just sending mine in as a core and getting fox lake heads. It seems safer to go with something I know is going to work versus something that may or may not work out.

i got both my heads and cams from foxlake. i love them and ron is good to deal with. i will be getting a p51 intake from him as well soon. i added the heads and cams together but the hp from them was great.

Yeah,i can't complain about my heads,car is great but i went from stock motor to what i have now,so i cant give you a great comparison but i can tell you that fox lake is a great company from what i hear and as far as the heads seam to be.i bought mine used,they were the heads used on kens fastest 2valve gt back in the day so thats also why they are stage 2 plus,only set in existance basically.i have intentions on running quite a bit of boost thru a kenne bell on it so i also have low compression so thats not so great while being n/a either.id say its prob a good choice though.

I just put Fox Lake Stage 2s on my car last week (already had VT stage 2 cams). Nothing else changed expect a fresh dyno tune, and I picked up 19 RWHP and 10 torque. Stock shortblock revs nicely to 7,000 RPM.