Fox Or 99-04?

• Sponsors (?)

I like the 99+ for dependable DD, but beware when u look for a 99+ mustang, ask how long ago it change the plug, cause these engine know to blow out plug, most peoples have to recheck and re torque the plug every oil change.

I don't know anyone who had that issue and when i had my '03 GT, a lot of my buddies had 99+

Only person I know who blew a plug out of a 4.6L head did so on an explorer. He put a helicoil in it and it's been fine ever since with 160K miles on it now.

The 99+ had different cylinder heads which was the bulk of the performance gain. The spark plug problems are real. Ford even makes a special tool to fix the problem. Trouble can be avoided by using good quality plugs and torquing them correctly. Most of the problems came from those that changed the plugs and replaced them with off brands.

The back two cylinders of a 4.6 tend to run hotter due to an improperly proportioned cooling jacket. This is not a problem unless you are really trying to push it with the tune.

Kurt

when I had my 02, it blew out while im far away from home. I though I blew up my engine, $400 to tow and fix the problem, my mechanic told me to recheck and retorque the plug every oil change ( 6 month ), just to be sure. I check the plug every time Im going out off town. couple month later, another one blew out, I end up Heli all other 7 and never worried about it again. I sold the mustang not too long after that though.

I still miss the PI 4.6 with loudmouth catback system. From time to time I want get back into the 99+, because the bad preview experiment I dint look for it any more.

If you apply an inflation calculator to the price of a 1993 Mustang, the price of a Mustang has not actually gone up at all. $40K in today's money is pretty on par with the $17,999 sticker on my 93' GT.

Kurt

I guess so but I wouldn't say wages have increased as much as the calculators would have us believe.

Wages have been steadily decreasing for 50 years, but that's a different discussion. The increase in the cost of the Mustang is consistent with the increase in costs of other things.

Kurt

Wages have been steadily decreasing for 50 years, but that's a different discussion. The increase in the cost of the Mustang is consistent with the increase in costs of other things.

Kurt

Seriously... Every year I watch the parts for my car get more and more expensive, and my paycheck isn't going up... My first complete Edelbrock Performer EFI intake was $250 - $300.

If you apply an inflation calculator to the price of a 1993 Mustang, the price of a Mustang has not actually gone up at all. $40K in today's money is pretty on par with the $17,999 sticker on my 93' GT.

Kurt
I say :bs: Maybe true but it definitely doesn't feel that way. I bought a lot of new cars in the 90's up to early 2000's. These new ones are over priced. I was looking at new 1/2 ton f150's last weekend. There's no f'ing way I'm paying nearly 50k for a truck. 40k is to much for a regular mustang GT. I refuse to buy another new vehicle. Ever:mad:

I say :bs: Maybe true but it definitely doesn't feel that way. I bought a lot of new cars in the 90's up to early 2000's. These new ones are over priced. I was looking at new 1/2 ton f150's last weekend. There's no f'ing way I'm paying nearly 50k for a truck. 40k is to much for a regular mustang GT. I refuse to buy another new vehicle. Ever:mad:
me too....would never buy a brand new car!,unless i was rich of coarse...

Me either... After interest and full coverage insurance requirement the cost is way more than the car is actually worth. In addition to once you drive it off the lot brand new you might as well half the value.

Seriously... Every year I watch the parts for my car get more and more expensive, and my paycheck isn't going up... My first complete Edelbrock Performer EFI intake was $250 - $300.
The wages where I work have gone up $3.67 an hr in 14 years, almost on par w inflation... I've only been at this plant a yr but there are some fellas that've been there 30 yrs making the same as me.