Fox TB swap

Hef5.0weisen

Dirt-Old 20+Year Member
Mar 5, 2004
NorthWest Florida
Love it or hate....I started it earlier tonight. Pretty simple...however the Kenne Bell, as always, kinda gets in the way of things. No big deal though. It's all temp installed. Gotta put the cable in, and splice in the TPS, adjsut the idle...should be good to go. For scheise's and giggles, I started it as is...it started, tired to keep going but konked out.

Switching from a BBK CAI and 65mm TB, to a 75mm, 90mm MAF and a homemade inlet. Just a 4 inch 45 degree rubber bend. Had to tweak it a bit to get the filter in the right spot. Goign from fender to underhood....again love it or hate, that's what I did...I'm not going to argue the cold air vs hot air bit.

Got to go back and shorten the studs, and reroute some fuel lines (for the FMU), heat shrink the splice connections...little clean-up stuff like that.

Piece of cake to do...only snafu I had so far was the TB cam hitting the water hard lines. I tweaked them a bit..I don't really like that, TB cam could get stuck open from that....I didn't dig to deep for a solution, figure it out tommorow. Probably finish it up in the AM...I'll take it back apart and take pics. Looks cool so far...I'm buying the "cleans it up" bit. I'm going the for the "KB's don't like inlet restrictions". I'm not expecting much...just kinda fun to do......

New tires tommorow for the Mustang and the wifes Xterra tommorow.

• Sponsors (?)

Got it all together...had some other stuff to do this morning. Well, like has been said many times before..the throttle response is much different. TB definentely opens faster. I'll try to get some pics up later, camera battery is dead.

Gotta get it dialed in...for whatever reason I set the TPS to .5...maybe an old number stuck in my head. Got to go through setting the idle, that'll probably be all it needs. It doea start and idle...but you I gotta goose it a bit at a stop sign..... Gonna throw the laptop on too...see what I can see with the Tweecer. Right now I put a J4JI on, swapped to 19lbers and a Lightning MAF curve. Got to turn the CE light off as well as the EGR. Once I get this smoothed out, do a bit of Tweecer learning...I'll throw the 42lbers on and remove the FMU.

I can also hear it sucking air and that TB whistle...it's not annoying, but definently there. Kinda wishing there was a dyno around here...throw it on the rollers and get it tweaked out. Closest is Albuquerque, but that is about 210 miles..might be on the to-do list if the Tweecer gets to be too much of a PITA.

DSCF0366.JPG

Swap parts, top to bottom left to right
throttle cable, TPS sensor (get both sides of the plug), cable bracket, 3/8 spacer, 75mm TB, FOX IAC
I got the swap parts off of a Mark 8, TB from Summit, and EGR delete from EBAY. Not shown is the cap for the EGR /header…EBAY, and the LMAF pigtail fordfuelinjection.com. I needed longer bolts for the TB to inlet. I just used threaded rod, double nutted em in, marked and cut to length. Also get either splices, or bullet connectors, or you can solder the wiring. I went with splices on the TPS, and bullet connectors on the LMAF, either way I put heat shrink on the connection, then that flexi wire loom stuff.

DSCF0369.JPG

Spacers to clear water lines
These are 1.5 inch spacers. These let the bracket clear the heater lines, valve covers and lined the cable up straight. Got them at Lowe’s from the hardware bins. Saw a how-to ,some said 3/8 would clear, not for me, might be a KB thing. Keeping EGR or a thicker adapter might be the answer as well

DSCF0371.JPG

Inlet track I made up
Not a traditional CAI, but it works. LMAF from Corral classifieds, elbow from intakehoses.com,(4 inch ID, 90 degree bend, also a 4 to 3 inch step down adapter), cut the end a bit so the filter would tuck in where it is ….KNN from Summit. You can see how it all goes together. Eventually, I'll move it back to the fender. ACT sensor is in the bottom of the elbow.

Got the idle dialed in....I'd say no more stop sign antics, chucking a few revs to keep it from stalling....but, now just gotta adapt to the throttle response...tap the gas and its revving to the moon...gotta work the clutch in there a little better...it is significant. Haven't got on a back road yet...but horsed it a bit out of the neighborhood..wow, really woke it up.

Again, love it or hate it....I'm digging it.