Fox TB swaps ????

RIO5.0

15 Year Member
Feb 16, 2001
N.H.
Swapping over to Fox style TB set-up.....Some pics would be cool....Like to see how you ran your intake tube and such...
I got a Fox style 65 coming and, i gotta hunt up a throttle cable to, keep me in mind if you have, or come across one... :D
Just curious on how to run the intake tube, i really don't want my airfilter in the engine bay...

Thanks...

• Sponsors (?)

one thing ive never got is supposedly the Fox setup flows better...but the air still has to bend....on our setup it bends in the elbow...in a fox setup the intake arm bends....how can the difference be that much??....maybe im missing something:shrug:

Anthony

Has there been any dyno runs comparing the two diff. styles if TB setups?
It seems to me that if the 94-95 elbow is matched/sized to 75mm which the opening of the intake. How would that be any more restrictive than a 75 mm TB with a 90* elbow right before a TB. Most of the CAI for the sn95's are a straight shot to the TB so that would mean that both setups would have 90* of bend.... RIGHT?

Has anybody ever seen anything on the two diff setups?

There has been a lot of talk about how these are less 'restrictive' and this and that. Most people observed that most N/A H/C/I combo's on FOX cars had a little over 300 RWHP using the stock shortblock, while the SN-95 5.0's are stuck in the low 290's, about a 10 RWHP difference. The only thing that everyone is pointing to is the throttle body setup, however I don't buy it. You have to take in what type of exhaust the person is running, i.e. shortys or LT's, and what type of MAF they have. Most people use the 75mm Pro-M because its cheap, but a Pro-M 80 or 83 would produce a few more ponies than the 75 would. I also think that our computer is the largest factor in why we cannot get to that 'plateau' of 300 RWHP. Sure it is a more aggressive computer, but it's very touchy and does not adapt to modifications as well as the FOX computer does. Another thing is that people boast about their "300 horsepower FOX body" but they never say whether it is SAE corrected or not. I would venture to guess that most of the time it is not SAE corrected, and when it gets corrected, it's more like 290, just like the SN-95's. I would be the first to admit I'm wrong if there are proven naturally aspirated gains, not supercharged. Supercharging is a whole other animal.

Joe

Striped...i'm under the assumption that the 65 i currently use will not work??? For one, i think the linkage is different and two, its to damn long...most of the post iv'e seen on this people are runniNg the Fox TB...hence why i got the fox unit. i looked at it the other day, and i dont believe the stock hood would clear..coming straight out with my 95 65TB its gonna crash...
I can always sell my 65, its damn near new, my STB i painted up is going, the CAI i made is going..i can fund the project with that stuff... :D I wanna get some nice VCs and dump the Summit chromes i have...

i want the set-up mostly to clean thing up...i have one fuel line i can't even run in the stock location now, as i dont have clearance to go under my tall VCs, its running over my CAI....its a hassle to even get my oil cap off...i hate the looks of the wacked out adapter anyway...

Come Spring i'll have my 24s on and i'll redyno it anyway..i never did get any numbers from adding the Ex and RRs..the guys closed...i have almost a perfect match all thru the current set-up...i may just round stuff up over the Winter, do the dyno as it sits and then add the Fox set-up for numbers...we'll see...

VIPERn94Five-0 said:
one thing ive never got is supposedly the Fox setup flows better...but the air still has to bend....on our setup it bends in the elbow...in a fox setup the intake arm bends....how can the difference be that much??....maybe im missing something:shrug:

Anthony

the bend being after or before the throttlebody makes a difference in power so I have heard

86Style of corral made 24rwhp with JUST the fox TB swap. Now this was on a 342 with an S-trim, not an N/A 302. I plan on doing the swap in the future, just cuz it looks nicer and if I can pick up some power doing it that's even better.

My friend made 310rwhp with a ported Cobra intake, E-303, and Trick Flow heads on his 89 Fox.....not too many SN-95 are making that kind of power with those parts (and yes the numbers were SAE).

Jake

Well, i'll tell ya...i put the Ex,RRs and i'm adding 24s and the Fox set-up...should make me more on par with everyone else....and my numbers should be purdy decent.. :nice:
Then i'm gonna slam on a set of AFRs and see the dif... :D

RIO5.0 said:
Well, i'll tell ya...i put the Ex,RRs and i'm adding 24s and the Fox set-up...should make me more on par with everyone else....and my numbers should be purdy decent.. :nice:
Then i'm gonna slam on a set of AFRs and see the dif... :D

Rio you made any progress on this swap yet? I would be very interested. Got any pics if its done?

Mark...No progress yet...Its Winter here, so its just sitting waiting parts to arrive.

I have a 65 TB on its way, the throttle cable/bracket i'm still trying to locate, got some lined up though....i have to buy a EGR delete spacer to, waiting a shipped price on that from nitrostangracing.com....Done business with Jeff in the past, so waiting that price...
Only other thing is to figure the CAI system...when i get the stuff, i'll bolt it up and do some figuring on that...I didnt' store the car away, just left it in "the warm" side of the garage to pick away at it...once i have it semi figured out, I'm gonna rip the intake to paint it up...it sucks actually...driving the winter beater... :(

Attachments

• idle.jpg
    idle.jpg
    51.8 KB · Views: 138
I'm assuming besides the extra power (hopefully) that the swap will give you a little more room as far as valve cover clearence?

Also, since I use a C&L MAF, if I would do the swap could i pick up a fox C&L MAF, would it work with the 94 computer? What would I need to do about this?

Ive done the swap, and must say, it does clean up the engine bay clutter on the 94-95's. Cant comment on power diference, becuase i havebt started the car yet. One plus is, the FMS t/b's are only $180 ( with new sensors) vs $245-250 for the 94-95 FMS one. And $80 less, without the need for that elbow.

I picked my t/b cable from a junkyard for 5 bucks.. Any old Ford with a 5.0 ( t/b on pass side)

braket i picked up off the same car.

TPS pigtail i picked up off the same car, just hacked it off.. Youll need the male end.

If you call X2C Motorsports they have a kit that comes with all the stuff needed to do the swap. The one big advatage is the throttle body opening size. the aftermarket elbows like the edelbrock are only 70mm and although that is plenty for most applications, when you start talking a bit wilder combinations like the 408 i'm planning you need more.

In a case like Jerry and Ponyboy, I could see it making a difference, but in our 302 NA applictaions, I'm not sold on the idea yet. I'm lucky in that I have a fox body, as well as my dad, so maybe for giggles I'll do the swap to see what, if any, gains are to be had. No one has done it yet on a NA car that I know of and done test to see if its a worthy swap. If it does show proven gains, I'll make the switch, but probably not until then. The whole 90* bend right in front of the T-body is what has me cautious about believing that it will show gains when our setup is a much smoother transition, especially if you do a homemade CAI like I have where the air has a straight shot from the filter to the t-body, and then a less harsh bend into the intake. The velocity in my mind would be higher with our setup.

As for the 300rwhp thing... I think I hold my own with "only" 293. Sure it'd be great for bragging rights to be able to say I have over 300rwhp, but at the track I'm beating lighter foxes WITH 300 to the wheels. If I did what Joe said many do and didn't quote SAE numbers, mine are over 300rwhp STD, but those are not "true" numbers that can be compared.

Oink....Sweet deal on those parts...i emailed Prestige Mustang Salvage, they wanted 57.00 shipped for the cable and bracket.... :nonono: Screw that....May have to hunt around for the TPS plug....
I'll have to call around to see if any local salvage yards have a Fox hanging around....
I did order up a UPR EGR delete plate....

like i said, i just picked the parts up at a local salvage yard for a few bucks. My stuff came out of a mid-late 80's Lincoln, i believe, or maybe it was a Gran Marqiue? one of those ( with the t/b on the pass side)
They have the same exact setup as the fox bodies. You shouldnt have a problem finding one of these junkers, with the parts you need.