Foxbody Build Issues

ironrider2

Oct 17, 2012
I have a 91 fox with pro comp 210 heads, comp 35-328-8 cam w/ 1.6 rockers(.512) lift, bbk ssi intake w/ 70 mm throttle body and 24lb injectors and am having one hell of a time trying to get this thing to run without throwing codes. The funny thing is when I first installed the cam with the old lifters of which 3-4 collapsed; the motor ran fine and strong but sounded like a sewing machine due to the collapsed lifters. The eec-iv didn't throw any codes at all. Now that I have installed new lifters I cant get the car to run worth a dime and I keep getting code 41 which shows lean passenger side o2 sensor and the check engine light keeps coming on. The engine idles decent but under acceleration it seems to bog and cut out. What could be my problem? I took it to a mechanic who obviously doesn't have anymore knowledge than me and he is saying that the computer isn't able to keep up with my cam. He didn't install a new o2 sensor either. Comp advertises that this cam is good to go with efi computer so I assumed this would mean eec-iv since it is the computer in my car and this is the cam made for it. But one thing in comps advertisement that I haven't asked them the question on yet is that the say it is good for efi computer using 1.7 rockers, however, when I told them my setup they suggested 1.6 rockers due to piston to valve clearance and didn't state anything about computer compatibility issues which is why I don't think there is one since the car ran fine before the installation of the new lifters. I do hear what sounds like a vacuum leak and I am getting either intake or throttle body whistle but when I spray around the intake the idle isn't changing and I cant find a leak. Mechanic said he checked it too and couldn't find and intake leak either. I am lost and almost discouraged due to this being my first auto build ever. Where should I be looking to solve this issue? I did a plug reading and they are showing lean and the exhaust smells super rich. Could a bad 02 sensor be causing all this headache? The car barely failed emissions with hydrocarbons being 354 limit is 220. Should I start there or is there somewhere else I should be looking I am physically tired of working on this thing and not getting results and I am also tired of throwing parts at it also. The car has a new 255lph fuel pump, new coil, new plugs, wires aren't that old and don't even have 1000 miles on them. I am going to stop rambling now. I need help. So much for driving this thing to NMRA Bowling Green this weekend like I have been working all summer long to do grrr!

• Sponsors (?)

Let's start with ecu not keeping up with the cam, find a new mechanic.
I assume it still has cats? Is the air pump system still functioning? Sometimes the tad tab solenoids on the passenger side strut tower develop a vacuum leak.
To check for a vacuum leak have a smoke test done, they hook a canister that makes smoke into one of the vacuum lines, where the smoke starts to come out is where the leak is. Test this from different points on the vac system for best results.
The 210 procomp heads may have springs for a flat tapped cam these have way too much spring pressure and will collapse hydrolic lifters, double check what you have installed. Did you test the preload on the lifters? I assume they are pedastal mount rocker arms? If so a shim kit may be required to get the correct preload. With the lifters pumping up all the way and tolerances too tight you may have valves stuck open. Get a vacuum gauge and take a reading with the car idling, a abnormally low reading is indicative of too much lifter preload.
What tb do you have on there? Some of them wistle, especially the BBK you will just have to live with that. What maf? Is the maf tuned to the injectors, if not get one that is. Buy a name brand maf calibrated to the injector size DO NOT BUY A C&L MAF! They suck and are only useful as an paper weight.

Welcome to Stangnet. :SN:

Going back through the original post( sorry there was a lot to take in) the BBK intake had issues when they first came out with the fuel crossover tube. Supposedly that was addressed and may not be an issue here. The tb that came on it is prone to whistling and every single one I have heard does. I'm not familiar with the procomp heads. Typically they were sold or at least they used to be sold as bare castings and you matched the valves and springs to your combo. If your valve springs are too tight and collapsing new lifters then I will assume they absolutely crushed the old ones. I'm assuming that valve geometry was double checked after re-installing pushrods. I would start with the surging idle checklist and proceed from there.

Let's start with ecu not keeping up with the cam, find a new mechanic.
I assume it still has cats? Is the air pump system still functioning? Sometimes the tad tab solenoids on the passenger side strut tower develop a vacuum leak.
To check for a vacuum leak have a smoke test done, they hook a canister that makes smoke into one of the vacuum lines, where the smoke starts to come out is where the leak is. Test this from different points on the vac system for best results.
The 210 procomp heads may have springs for a flat tapped cam these have way too much spring pressure and will collapse hydrolic lifters, double check what you have installed. Did you test the preload on the lifters? I assume they are pedastal mount rocker arms? If so a shim kit may be required to get the correct preload. With the lifters pumping up all the way and tolerances too tight you may have valves stuck open. Get a vacuum gauge and take a reading with the car idling, a abnormally low reading is indicative of too much lifter preload.
What tb do you have on there? Some of them wistle, especially the BBK you will just have to live with that. What maf? Is the maf tuned to the injectors, if not get one that is. Buy a name brand maf calibrated to the injector size DO NOT BUY A C&L MAF! They suck and are only useful as an paper weight.

Welcome to Stangnet. :SN:
the car doesn't have cats still has the igniters and all smog has been removed. I will check into the smoke test as for the springs in my heads I cant find the specs right now but they are the ones good to .600 lift and of course comp said they would be fine for what I am running. I did test the preload on the lifters and all is well there. They are not pedestal mount but stud mounted rockers. I will recheck the lifter preload and as far as maf its 80mm and the sensor is a ford 8k21

Going back through the original post( sorry there was a lot to take in) the BBK intake had issues when they first came out with the fuel crossover tube. Supposedly that was addressed and may not be an issue here. The tb that came on it is prone to whistling and every single one I have heard does. I'm not familiar with the procomp heads. Typically they were sold or at least they used to be sold as bare castings and you matched the valves and springs to your combo. If your valve springs are too tight and collapsing new lifters then I will assume they absolutely crushed the old ones. I'm assuming that valve geometry was double checked after re-installing pushrods. I would start with the surging idle checklist and proceed from there.
the springs are not collapsing new lifters the old lifters that I had to tear apart and make solid to check ptv clearance didn't pump back up after install so new lifters are in place and none have collapsed. The valve train geometry was triple checked

The springs on the 210 heads are not enough. Running the same set up right now. Had some of the same issues Same problem, you are running with the valves open. Putting raw fuel in the cylinders during run time. Your lifters are ok now bc new but the springs are weak. They say they will hold 600 lift on a roller but this is not true.. And heads straight out of box, did you do a leak test on all valves? I had to have all of mine relaped and reseated. Right out of the box.. Only one exhaust valve was properly seated and didn't leak. Horrible.. For the price I payed for them and then the machine work on them I waisted my money. I just bought a new set of brodex heads and waiting to put them on this winter. Took them to machine shop and were perfect just as I ordered them with correct springs and all no leaks ready to rock for $300 less them total amount payed and machine on the pro comps

Attachments

• image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    54.5 KB · Views: 101
  • image.png
    image.png
    131.6 KB · Views: 97
  • image.png
    image.png
    131.6 KB · Views: 133
The springs on the 210 heads are not enough. Running the same set up right now. Had some of the same issues Same problem, you are running with the valves open. Putting raw fuel in the cylinders during run time. Your lifters are ok now bc new but the springs are weak. They say they will hold 600 lift on a roller but this is not true.. And heads straight out of box, did you do a leak test on all valves? I had to have all of mine relaped and reseated. Right out of the box.. Only one exhaust valve was properly seated and didn't leak. Horrible.. For the price I payed for them and then the machine work on them I waisted my money. I just bought a new set of brodex heads and waiting to put them on this winter. Took them to machine shop and were perfect just as I ordered them with correct springs and all no leaks ready to rock for $300 less them total amount payed and machine on the pro comps
I have not done a leak down test. And i dont want to put cash in these heads which is whyi bought them I will look into what you are saying and see how that turns out. Do you know the specs of the comp springs they recommend for this cam opposed to the ones I have? Are they stiffer?

Yes I ment to post it but I hit wrong one. Here is the new pics. I too bought these heads bc I thought they were cheap. And I ended up in the hole and one pissed off angry wife,Tried to enforce me to sell the darn car. But long post in short terms,,,,, spend the extra cash and get the better set of heads. In the end the darn car will just be a better horse pulling like that Wild stang that we all want to ride

Attachments

• image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    54.5 KB · Views: 119
  • image.png
    image.png
    111.4 KB · Views: 123
OTE="Lscam580, post: 8928467, member: 200241"]Yes I ment to post it but I hit wrong one. Here is the new pics. I too bought these heads bc I thought they were cheap. And I ended up in the hole and one ****ed off angry wife,Tried to enforce me to sell the darn car. But long post in short terms,,,,, spend the extra cash and get the better set of heads. In the end the darn car will just be a better horse pulling like that Wild stang that we all want to ride[/QUOTE]
Thanks for the info. I may need to get new springs