Roush FR500 Steering Wheel

SyberSaint

Founding Member
Oct 24, 2000
San Antonio, Texas
Hello guys,

I have been thinking about replacing my stock dark charcoal stering wheel, with a FR500 steering wheel. Have any of you done this mod? If so, how do you like it (what are your thoughts)? Does the air bag cover match the wheel, or does it look noticably different? Can anyone post some pics?

Thanks,

Dale

• Sponsors (?)

my friend had it in his '98 Cobra, and I liked the steering wheel alot. It is a little bit bigger around in terms of holding on to it, so if you have small hands or a woman...it might seem a bit much. His was black, wouldnt match the dark charcoal to well, however I think the 03/04 cobra ann. cars had this same steering wheel in dark charcoal, so i'd look into that

Dale:

I think the FR500 steering wheel is the same one Ford Racing sells through their catalogue. I installed one in my 1997 Saleen a few years ago and really like it. It has a thicker rim and matches the airbag perfectly. My car has a black interior and it looks like the car came with it. You might want to check with your local Ford racing dealer to see if it is avalible in the charcoal color.

I found an article on how to install the wheel at MustangWorld.

FR500 steering wheel Install
(94 to 2000 models)

Article sent in by David MacCallum

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

1. Disconnect the negative wire on the battery and wait 20 minutes.
1a. Remove the two plastic covers (one on each side of the wheel).

2. Remove the 8mm bolts that hold the airbag in place.

3. Airbag will fall out but still be attached by a wire. Reach around back of plastic connector and depress the plastic lever to release the connector. Set airbag aside.

4. Unplug the 2 horn wires. Unplug the cruise control wire.

5. Use phillips head to remove 4 screws that hold cruise control buttons to steering wheel.

6. Remove cruise control buttons and set aside.

7. Need Torx socket to remove large bolt holding steering wheel to steering column. However, I used a combination of a long thin socket and the square butt of a screwdriver insert (the kind you insert into the end of a power drill) to take mine off. Used a $14.99 steering wheel puller from Auto Zone or similar to remove the wheel. Wheel pops off. Never use a hammer to pound on the shaft or wheel center to try to loosen the steering wheel (I learned this lesson with my 86GT when I installed a MOMO steering wheel many years ago...result was slop in the steering from a bent/distorted shaft.)

8. Put new wheel on dining room table (assuming you have a loving wife like mine). Remove horn relays using a hex key tool. Remove phillips screws that are holding the plastic housing on the back of the steering wheel. Transfer all of this stuff onto the new wheel. Add the cruise control buttons last.

9. Pop on new wheel. You'll notice the wheel is not a tight fit on the shaft. This is normal. Apply pressure to the wheel and turn it to the right. Then tighten the bolt. This ensures the wheel stays true. Otherwise it may be a little off center when driving.

10. Reassemble everything else. And you are good to go. About a 45 minute job for a first timer.

The wheel is about 30-50% thicker than the original. The leather feels a little smoother/softer than the stock wheel. The wheel feels easier to turn because you can grab it easier. Weird feeling to describe but very cool. I'm very happy with it. How thick is it? A good example: pretend like you are holding a bat with your right hand. With the stock wheel, my pointer and middle fingers easily touch the base of my thumb. With the FR500, there is a gap of about 1/4 to 1/2 inch.

Above is a comparison of the stock wheel (on the left and the FR500 (on the right). The stock wheel is reversed so I could do a side by side. - Dave M.

Extra Reader Supplied Notes:
Its a Torx T-50 and easy to find at Autozone, etc. You can also leave the cruise switches on the wheel when you take it off. Then just remove them when you got the stock wheel on the table. - Steve99cobra

Great how to for the wheel. Just wanted to add a couple of notes from my FR500 install. The cruise control buttons were held on by allen head bolts not phillips screws on my 98GT. The tabs at the bottom of the wheel need to be broken off if you dont have cruise control or the back cover wont fit right on the lower part of the wheel. They snap right off with pliers. These tabs are what the cruise control knobs mount to I think. I have the boxes inside the hub for cruise control but no buttons. Also the torx bit is a T50, same size as the seatbelt bolts. -Thanks......98GT4me

MW Note: The FR500 Stering wheel is made by Ford Performance Parts and is listed in their FRPP 2000 catalog Part no. M-3601-B. Fits 1994 - 00 Mustang V6, GT and Cobra. It features thicker racing style rim section, covered in perforated and smooth black leather. Uses your existing airbag and cruise control switches.

The install went very easy for me.

Larry
97-0183

The FR500 wheel only comes in black.

I have one waiting to go into the Dark Charcoal interior of my 03. It feels great, and the color difference does not bother me. I've seen plenty of pics of them installed on ALL Mustang interiors.

The 10th Anniversary Cobra one is not the same, it was expanded edges for the thumbs, and is also about $625.

Mustang World has a few pics on their website...

Here's a quick comparison of color and size...
FR500wheel2.jpg

The FR500 is installed with the stock wheel reversed in front of it. I think the car is a '98 with the black interior, so the wheel matches better.

I've thought about this mod too.

Attachments

• FR500wheel2.jpg
    FR500wheel2.jpg
    17.3 KB · Views: 192
I hate the OEM wheel in my '98 Saleen Cobra (too large a diameter & too thin of a rim) & considered replacing it with the FR500/FRPP wheel. Unfortunately I have the Saddle interior so a black steering wheel would stick out like the proverbial sore thumb. Of course the plastic dash trim is black so perhaps it wouldn't look so out of place.
I've wondered if the airbag/horn covers can be swapped between the two wheels... hmmmmm.....:shrug: