Frame damage, want opinions. PICS included.

jtfairlane

Mar 5, 2006
Last fall I had a shop weld in a set of MM Subframe connectors. About half way through the install, the foreman pulled me over and pointed out that on the driver side there appeared to have been some damage to the frame, like the car came down hard on something sometime in its life. One more thing to thank one of the car's numerous previous owners for...

I had bought the car back in '05, and had repaired/replaced about 100 things that were damaged from one of the previous owners. After the SFC install, I had put the frame damage out of my mind, but now that I am getting serious with the car I feel ready to address it.

This first picture is of the perfectly A-OK passenger side, notice how flat the frame is in comparison to the SFC, this is for comparison's sake for the next two pictures.

2582856_59_full.jpg

This next picture is of the worst damage, on the driver side.

2582856_60_full.jpg

This last picture is up by the firewall, notice the indentation by the plate connecting the SFC to the subframe.

2582856_61_full.jpg

So, what are your opinions? How bad is it? Am I in a difficult position now? Even if I could have the frame straightened, would the SFC would have to come off first? Give it to me straight, doc!

• Sponsors (?)

thats not bad at all, not worth fixing, most people or shops lift the car up on the subframes, and they bent very easily, every one ive owned has had little dents and things in the subframes, my 86 has a couple like that and it dosent mess with the integrity of the car so i dont mess with em, if your concerned have the place cut out and put new in.

if you are really worried about it and want it looked at go to a shop that has a laser frame system and have them put it on the rig and check all the measurments. be ready to pay though they dont work for free. i guess you just gotta decide if the peace of mind is worth the cash to have it looked at.

depending on how serious you're getting, you might want to weld those connectors in. those tabs are waiting to crack somewhere. the best subframe connectors are homemade. 2 1/2 by 1 1/2 by 6 feet 1/8 wall. welded through the floor. problems over.

I did more damage to mine the first time I jacked it up. I had no choice but to go to the frame rail due to position of car and it bent it up nice. i would leave it a lont. i know I did. Your new subframe connectors are making up for what ever weak point that minor cosmetic dent may have made...:)