Frame Rail/ Torque Box Help

Discussion in 'Classic Mustang Specific Tech' started by pgrunt24, Apr 25, 2013.

1. pgrunt24

pgrunt24 New Member

hello, new to the forum... well forum's period, but i need a hand in how to handle this. car is a 69 fastback and mostly rust free. pulled the motor today to paint the engine bay to start the painting process. while underneath the front driver side i saw where the front frame rail / torque box is rusted out. how do i go about fixing this. i have a crappy welder, i ain't the best by any means but my inner fender well battery area looks good where i replaced it. should i even try to do it myself or look for a "professional" to do the work?

-btw i am just a normal guy with a family trying to get back into his dream car so money is an issue. i wish i could just drop it off somewhere and pick it up finished, but where would the fun be in that.

not sure how to post pic but... http://s1313.photobucket.com

any help is greatly appreciated. thank you in advance. =)

Attached Files:

2. horse sence

horse sence Please don't call me Mom SN Certified Technician

Showcase:
    Albums:
    you can buy the torque box in an un welded version. remove the outer skin of yours first then remove the inner part of the box there is a lot of spot welds the ones you can see you can drill . you can remove the rest in pieces ,that may make it easier ,if you have a way to cut it up. there is spot welds from the top through the floor just dril them through and use the drill holes to weld the new one back in. you will have to crawl under it so make sure you block it up well and safe