Franko's 1993 Coupe Update - Interior Started

chgovfk

15 Year Member
Apr 17, 2007
AZ
Did a little work over the weekend - got beat by one screw that I had to drill out - and forgot that my battery packs for the drill were not charged :mad:........so I gave up for the day -
Project mustang interior 001.JPG

Got most of the center consule out and started on the dash - what a pain in the arse - the one screw was by the glove box - I could of gotten this terrible carpet out -
Project mustang interior 008.JPG

The good news is that I got the air bag out / cleaned it up and finally put it with the steering wheel I've been carrying around with me for the last F-n 20 yrs - I 'ganked' it out of my buddies triple black GT vert back in 94' when he totalled it - had low miles ......I kept it..... thinking one day I'll have a project coupe ....talk about pre-planning - my OCD goes way back -
Project mustang interior 010.JPG

it will be fun - painting all of this black
Project mustang interior 012.JPG

• Sponsors (?)

I'm hoping if I prep the 'poop' out of it all - use the correct paint - it will turn out Ok - way back when ....I bought a new 93' white GT w/lgt grey int - I brought it back to Ford b/c of the ashtray door (of course) bad - cracked the door in 2 (I was drunk...:O_o: ) - the guy told me almost all of the 'new' interior piece's only came in 'black' from Ford and had to be painted to match the interior - the bodyshop showed me - and it lasted....:confused:

- ....02 sonic blue - thanks - I really have been hanging onto that thing like forever (18 yrs) - even leather conditioning it once in a while - wrapping it back into a box with a towel - ......and the funny thing is I swear I hate hate doing interior work - almost spent the extra money to find a car w/a mint black interior .... 5.0 ...w/a stick etc etc ....maybe I should of - but I wanted to strip it down completely to the shell - .....complete re-do - I may regret this .....

Cool project! Perseverance paid off with that wheel!

Hahahaha......thanks!
I guess your right - my wife keeps asking me when it will be finished? ...why is it taking so long? / why did you buy those 'chrome' wheels (rims) and build the motor before you even had the car?- why did you pick to do a 1993 Mustang (actually alot of people ask me that)? - why not a 69' 65' 70' or an older one (?)- and I'm like look - this was the 'it' car when I was 18/20 /21- I owned F-n (6) six of these and went w/my friends to buy 10 more when they got a job - we thought that they were the greatest thing since 'sliced-bread' ...........:confused:

Yeah, there's definitely something to say for nostalgia. And for snapping up the good deals when they come around, even if you don't have the car yet! Congrats on finally getting it!

Yeah, there's definitely something to say for nostalgia. And for snapping up the good deals when they come around, even if you don't have the car yet! Congrats on finally getting it!

Thanks !! - like a lot of people - I don't have much extra cash (I'm married ...:confused:) be smart or more importantly patient - you can find good deals - I bought a 71' LTD w/90k on it for $500 and got the 351windsor out of it - sold the body for $150 - the FMX trans to a dirt track racer for $100 - cleaned up the valve covers and sold them for $50 on flea bay - and i'll probably get another $50 for the oil pan - so that's $150 for a complete motor all accessories -

I think people over think this whole interior spray job thing. A buddy of mine got a couple cans of black spray/dye from the parts store and did the interior of a beater S10 in black. It looked amazing. He drove it for a while like that and it held up really well. He didn't prep it at all, didn't even take the interior pieces out, just taped off the windows and stuff and spray bombed it.

Keep us posted on the painting. I'm ripping my grey interior out this weekend and painting it black when the paint comes in. I bought the interior paint from late model resto but I was wondering what to do for prep. I figured clean light sand black primer and spray. FYI buy the dash pad arm pads and the center console in black (lmr). I heard if u paint them eventually they will crack.

Good luck

Coming from one who has painted an interior a color that doesn't come in a can, but is intended for interior vinyl nonetheless,...here are my suggestions.

#1 clean it. the Armor all that has been on the panels in the past will bite you in the ass if you do not clean it like mad.
I used a soap and water wash w/ Dawn dishwashing liquid 1st, the used a "pre painting cleaner" (like prepsol) after that. Had I had a big bottle of isoprop alcohol, I would've finished w/ that.

I still got fisheyes on one panel.

#2 Watch the humidity. Most vinyl paint will blush if you try to paint in high humidity. I always try to do it indoors when I do, and in the past, have even risked divorce by doing it in the house. ( I don't know what her problem is,...I like the smell of paint fumes)

The rigid plastic, the soft plastic, and the flexible plastic, (i.e the rear quarter panel pieces; the door panels; and the kick panels) will all "take" the paint differently, and will tolerate scratches equally differently as well. Believe it or not, the soft vinyl door panel loves the paint, the kicks hate it, and the rigid pieces are in between. I chipped some of the paint back off the kicks, just by putting them back on.
The door panels are almost bullet proof, and I gotta be careful what I do when I get into the back seat around those big-assed rigid panels.

It has been painted over two years now, and it looks like the day I did it, so...the moral to tis story, is to prep it properly, and use the best vinyl paint out there, (some companies even make different formulas for the rigid and flexible panels respectively,) watch the humidity, (elsewise it'll blush like a b itch) and you'll be fine.

you guys know that dash is black from the factory if you put some reducer or thinner on a rag and rub hard your dash will be all black with out any paint. don't get the thinner on the parts that are already black they have a clear coat over them that will rubb off. You can buy a new dash pad and hvac vents to match everything.

Ive don't it to one of my cars, and many others have as well. if you could buy door panels (repro's and a console (only used) then all the major wear items would be real factory black. I only painted my rear panels in the black coupe, I did everything to prep and used SEM interior dye and well it scratches and marks so easy but it matches.

well he wont have to worry about humidity in Arizona the way i prep plastic is clean with a degreaser and a spung to get all the armorall and dirt off then water and then use and alcohol based cleaner then once its all dry i use duplicolor prep wipes then 2 coats of primer then 3-5 coats of color then 2-3 coats of a clear of choice mostly flat though.

hey frank interior is looking good man you gunna replace the carpet or clean the crap out of it? I might be free Saturday morning if you need a hand shoot me a text or call me if you get a chance tomorrow.
Thanks David - I may call ya - but like I said I really get started at like 6AM - let me get going and see - will send a text -

When I first got here to AZ - an old timer co-worker said that during the summer one of these days - I'll be washing my car at 5 AM - damn he was spot on - it gets 'HOT" here - dry heat is all B/S - this weekend it's scheduled to go to 110" - .....:crazy: