Freaky's Official Explorer and GT-40 intake thread. 56k, dont' bother

• Sponsors (?)

Sorry for the delay guys I will add the information to the main post.

Length of bolts for Upper to Lower(w/o any spacer)

5/16-18 x 6" bolts. You'll need 4 of these
5/16-18 x 1" bolts You'll need two of them
With a one inch spacer you'll need

qty 4, 5/16-18 x 7" long
qty 2, 5/16-18 x 2" long
If you are going to order a Spacer (1 inch or 3/8"). Order one for a Cobra as it will have more bolts that you need. The GT-40 upper only uses two of the long bolts.

The studs for the TB and EGR are the same as the stock H.O. Pieces

5/16-18 x 4 1/2" long. You'll need four of these.

The Gt-40 Tubular upper weighs in at 11 lbs with no accessories bolted to it.

The Explorer upper casting weighs exactly 10 lbs more for a total of 21 lbs, without accessories.

Been lookin high and low for this info. Thanks!!

I have a lower with not ACT port, and plan on drilling and tapping a hole in #5 for it...

But my lower doesn't have the holes for the coolant line from the EGR. I was told that I could not even hook up the EGR and just cap it off and not worry about it since I am not worried about emissions....is this correct?

But my lower doesn't have the holes for the coolant line from the EGR. I was told that I could not even hook up the EGR and just cap it off and not worry about it since I am not worried about emissions....is this correct?

The lower doesn't have the rear 3/8" NPT port, but the boss for it is there. You can drill and tap it.

Check the part numbers behind the distributor

RF-F87E-9K461-BA has a working internal EGR
RF-F87E-9K461-BB does not have interior EGR

If oyu have a -BB lower intake (and matching upper), then you won't be able to install the EGR

Last edited:
Eh, the EGR is for emissions...I could care less. As long as it will still run correctly...

Oh, and where can I pickup the two 5/16"-18 x 8" bolts needed for the upper intake to lower for the GT40.

NAPA couldn't get them. I could get them from McMastercarr but I'd like the exact ones I need.

Last edited:
EGR isn't completely for emmissions. It does contribute to fuel economy a bit.

Make sure you research the consequences of EGR removal. Your CEL will be lit up, and it may affect how the car runs.

yay-to-the.jpg

Attachments

• yay-to-the.jpg
    yay-to-the.jpg
    30.3 KB · Views: 1,701
Eh, the EGR is for emissions...I could care less. As long as it will still run correctly...

Oh, and where can I pickup the two 5/16"-18 x 8" bolts needed for the upper intake to lower for the GT40.

NAPA couldn't get them. I could get them from McMastercarr but I'd like the exact ones I need.
That's what threaded rod from Home Depot or Ace Hardware is for. Use lots of Never-Seeze on the bolts since they tend to corrode badly and then you can't get them out without a lot of effort.

1. Pictures are not appearing
In the initial write up post. @Stang98LXCPE do you still have them to reload 15 years later?
2. Hot Rod dyno tested these manifolds and there was very little difference in power between the tubular and various castings.

3. @tmoss has ported the lowers and did the flow work to do it right. Are you or your brother still doing them?

4. After seeing the ported lower looked like it would flow golf balls, I matched the upper to a larger throttle body, and opened up a straighter track down the throat as far back as my tools could reach. I do not know what that will add to Tmoss’ lower porting skills, but it sure helped on a ported stock 5.0 GT intake.