Friend just picked up a 98 Cobra

Quik03GT

Mar 2, 2006
My friend just picked up an Atlantic Blue 98 Cobra 5 spd a few days ago, and I will say its a beautiful car. It has 51k on the clock, and he bought it for $11k, which seems like a good deal to me. It has a Bassani cat back with a Bassani catted x pipe, sounds awesome. I haven't gotten the chance to drive it yet, but how much faster will it be than my car?

• Sponsors (?)

Quik03GT said:
My friend just picked up an Atlantic Blue 98 Cobra 5 spd a few days ago, and I will say its a beautiful car. It has 51k on the clock, and he bought it for $11k, which seems like a good deal to me. It has a Bassani cat back with a Bassani catted x pipe, sounds awesome. I haven't gotten the chance to drive it yet, but how much faster will it be than my car?

you'll probably run about the same if thats all the mods he's got. u might be a bit quicker cause hes got nonPI heads.

Well to the best of my knowledge the 96-98 cobras are essentially the same engine. I used to own a 96 cobra and when I sold it and later bought a 01 Bullitt (bone stock) the bullitt felt significantly slower than my cobra. If I was go guess on 1/4 mile times between your car and his I would say that they would be really close just because the 96-98 cobras are nearly impossible to get a good lauch. If your friend is a REALLY good driver I would say 3-5 tenths faster than you. If you guys race from a roll he will pull you pretty steadily and continue to walk away.

Quik03GT said:
I haven't gotten the chance to drive it yet, but how much faster will it be than my car?
Very close. The edge will probably go to him with all things being equal, but all things are never equal. If he's not the greatest with a 5-speed, you could find yourself out on top.

Now...were both of you to start modding your cars, each of his bolt on's would after a while amount to significantly more (power wise) than yours. That's just the nature of the better breathing 4V heads. :)

Thanks guys, I appreciate your opinions. Now, on a side note, how much faster would my car be if I were to do 3.73 gears, a catless x pipe, an SCT xcal, and maybe a throttle body? This is assuming I could get the car to hook up at all :rolleyes:

Quik03GT said:
Thanks guys, I appreciate your opinions. Now, on a side note, how much faster would my car be if I were to do 3.73 gears, a catless x pipe, an SCT xcal, and maybe a throttle body? This is assuming I could get the car to hook up at all :rolleyes:

Are you really asking what do I have to do to make my car faster than my friends?

3:73's are a good mod and would definately help... How much I dont know, but at least the car will be more enjoyable to drive...

Catless X pipe is another really good mod probably the best bang for the buck on your list (I went with an H-Pipe for sound reasons, but from what I have read the X-Pipe is more efficient = More HP)

SCT XCAL This is the only power mod I have left to do to my car, I had been holding out until all the other mods were done first. In a near stock trim, this probably isnt going to gain you that much, but it will help. I personally would wait on this one.

TB your car is an 03 so you already have a 70mm, the gains from a 70 to a 75 would be minimal. However you may want to consider a plenum and then bolt on your stock TB. Thats what I would do in your position. I went with a Dragon Polished plenum, and if I had it to do all over again I would have went with an Accufab.