Friends car, disapointed track day

CanadaStang said:
Ummm.... bullit wheels with nice looking tires won't do anything to lower your 1/4 mile times, and his 60ft times are proof of that. Dr's or slicks on the other hand would.
Also adding MSD coils and wires[or any other brand] will not gain anything. The stock ignition is more than adequate for a stock or slightly modded engine. If you don't believe me, try it.
As for exchanging the stock clutch for a heavy duty racing clutch, you also won't gain a thing. The only time replacing the stock clutch would lower your 1/4 mile times is if the old one is slipping.

i think that's the first time i've agreed with everything you said :D ok eccept the ignition thing, our ignition coil pack or COP is probibly the best ford has ever put on a mustang and will take on alot of power before needing an upgrade.

• Sponsors (?)

CanadaStang said:
Ummm.... bullit wheels with nice looking tires won't do anything to lower your 1/4 mile times, and his 60ft times are proof of that. Dr's or slicks on the other hand would.
Also adding MSD coils and wires[or any other brand] will not gain anything. The stock ignition is more than adequate for a stock or slightly modded engine. If you don't believe me, try it.
As for exchanging the stock clutch for a heavy duty racing clutch, you also won't gain a thing. The only time replacing the stock clutch would lower your 1/4 mile times is if the old one is slipping.
what kinda tires? obviously some 99 dollar tires arnt gonna hook as good as a drag radial. thats what i was asking. i couldnt give a **** about the rims. and as far as the clutch, less slip=more rwhp. a stock clutch is good, yes, but a aftermarket one is always better. and i do agree, igniton dosnt help....much. just a little bit. you musta never bought good plug wires, and always bought the accel ones from your local autozone, where everyone is a genious.

that car is running right where it should be with the mods listed. plain and simple the heads and intake just don't flow... the full exhaust is probably giving very minimal gain and losing TQ down low to do it...

as far as ignition, most people will stay with the Ford coil packs since they seem to be the most consistant. unless going blower, no ignition upgrades are needed.

slicks and a 5000rpm launch will help the ET some!

showstopper2 said:
that car is running right where it should be with the mods listed. plain and simple the heads and intake just don't flow... the full exhaust is probably giving very minimal gain and losing TQ down low to do it...

as far as ignition, most people will stay with the Ford coil packs since they seem to be the most consistant. unless going blower, no ignition upgrades are needed.

slicks and a 5000rpm launch will help the ET some!

I'm not one to argue , but unless the '98 was that much slower than the '96 high 13 - low 14's are attainable from a npi with bolt-ons and street tires. Two years ago when i first bought mine with a 4.10 ,cold air, accufab and 70mm t-body as my only major upgrades on street tires i was running 14.10 - 14.0 all day long at a crappy track to top it all off.

However I do agree that a nice set of ported heads and some cams would be the better way to achieve some nice 12-13 sec. e/t with a slick or D/R.

slow96mustang said:
what kinda tires? obviously some 99 dollar tires arnt gonna hook as good as a drag radial. thats what i was asking. i couldnt give a **** about the rims. and as far as the clutch, less slip=more rwhp. a stock clutch is good, yes, but a aftermarket one is always better. and i do agree, igniton dosnt help....much. just a little bit. you musta never bought good plug wires, and always bought the accel ones from your local autozone, where everyone is a genious.
Sorry sir, but you are wrong.
1) Please correct me if I'm wrong, but no where in Thebigtwinkie21's post does he say anything about DR's. He is cutting 2.2 sec. 60ft times. I simply stated that the tires he has on his car do not appear to be any better than the stock tires, as it's easy to cut the same 60ft times with the stockers.
2) An aftermarket clutch is only better if the stock clutch can't handle the horsepower and is slipping, and I guaranty that a Mustang running high 14's in the 1/4, does not have enough hp to slip the stock clutch.
3) As I said before, you will gain nothing by going to an aftermarket ignition on a stock or slightly modded Mustang. Please feel free to go to your local track and do a few baseline runs, put on a set of aftermarket wires of your choice, then run the 1/4 again and see how many seconds you lope off your previous times. I'll be here, biting my nails in anticipation of the results of your research.

CanadaStang said:
Please feel free to go to your local track and do a few baseline runs, put on a set of aftermarket wires of your choice, then run the 1/4 again and see how many seconds you lope off your previous times. I'll be here, biting my nails in anticipation of the results of your research.

HAHAHAHAHAHHAHA. :canada:

Well im trying to figure out a way to scan and put them on here but this computer lot different than mine. I have a few of the slips in hand and see exactly what you guys think, is the times result of bad take offs? or maybe just drop off in power between certain markers, you get the idea. You guys are alot more technical and smarter than i am. I just drive it. lol.

R/T .280 R/T .116
60' 2.083 60' 2.161
330' 6.064 330' 6.105
1/8 9.398 1/8 9.414
mph 74.42 mph 74.75
1000' 12.257 1000' 12.266
1/4 14.718 1/4 16.685
mph 91.39 mph 93.41

Earlier in the day had few .05 and .06 reactions but that was before i started slammin the gears to the 1/4 wasnt lower than the top. Did have one -.001 . Almost though, kind of.. Anyways, what do you guys think of the numbers above? Need launch different? More top power? I not know guys, any help is greatly appreciated.

i had a 98 GT and was in your exact situation. But i found a way to get into the 13s real easily. I sold it and bought a 97 cobra. I was real pissed with my 98 dumping all sorts of cash into it and getting nowhere. I bought my 98 for 10500 and sold it for 9700 then bought my 40 k miles cobra for 12.

What about the shifting? If it was my car and i got to drive it all time, i would say i could drop it another .2-.3 . He has really stiff clutch and real stiff short shifter. In my 04 i have regular shifter and i not liking the short shift as of yet. But in those slips i was able to get pretty healthy shifts for most part.

hahaha, I do agree that maybe its time to sell it. I can see where he wants to just drop motor in this though cause he has no payments on it and the body is in PERFECT condition. He keeps it extremely nice. Not to mention you do nothing but slide around the interior cause all the wipes and stuff he uses.

i know, car doesnt quite have enough 3rd left to finish track so i have to shift into 4th. sometime i would red line it, but there was times i shifted all the way down around 5k. but the track room left is so small that it really not making much difference. I have to shift or it redline, but when i shift, track damn near done soon as in 4th ya know?

When my car still had the non-pi heads, I was getting my best times shifting at or around 5000rpm. It would seem logical for you to want to rev it much higher before shifting as you'd be used to your PI engined Stang, but the non-pi's fall flat on their faces after 5000-5200rpms.

Times don't seem that far off to me for a npi car. Your 60's are what is really killing you. But if you want something to try and help a little try opening the gap on the plugs up a little. Have you all tried different fuel, both grades and stations?
Also I'm sure you all are letting the car cool down and not just hot lapping it to death right? I know if I hot lap mine it can start to drop way off.
Will someone please explain to this old man why people have others drive thier cars? Just because hotshoe mcgraw can cut a 1.6 60' in your stock car doesn't mean you can.

Earlier in the day had few .05 and .06 reactions but that was before i started slammin the gears to the 1/4 wasnt lower than the top. Did have one -.001 . Almost though, kind of.. Anyways, what do you guys think of the numbers above? Need launch different? More top power? I not know guys, any help is greatly appreciated.[/QUOTE]

The reation times are not going to make the ETs better. If you have to shift right before the 1/4 you may drop the 2-3 shift a couple of hundred and the 3-4 will come a little sooner as well. I still don't think you will find a lot more in it. 60 degree cool night will get the mph and a couple of tenths.