From AGHRAAAA...to...EUREKA-A weldor's folly

Well, I had about had it!!! After futzing around in the garage all summer trying to weld with sloppy results, I was about to quit and call a pro. I figured my lack of experience coupled with 'only' a 110 machine must be the cause of my terrible work. The beads were huge with poor penetration. This ment a multitude of grinding operations only to be left with a poorly welded panel full of pin holes...AGHRAAAA:bang:

Smater, not harder....
Last night I decided to look at variables other than feed and voltage.
I tightened the tension on the roller that feeds the wire and EUREKA!:doh:
All of a sudden, I'm welding with ease! Beads are perfect with the kind of penetration that would make the ladies swoon(sorry, couldn't resist). Now this stuff is fun again instead of just another long swear session! I can't wait to work on it again.
Anyway, just needed to vent.

• Sponsors (?)

brianj5600 said:
You spelled smarter wrong.
:lol: Especially, considering how well written Rebelgd's post is. Plus, I believe Rebelgd is the first poster to use the word "folly" on this forum.

Checking your link, Rebelgd, I see you actually removed the entire cowl. How much did that suck?

total cowl removal is a real pain in the #**... my 65 sat in a pine grove for 12 years.all the while debris laying in the cowl vents.when i decided to put her back on the road, i knew the cowl was going to be a major hurdle. when i got it apart, not only was the ends of the cowl floor gone, the center was, too. i found a cowl section in a bone yard in sacramento, calif, and had it shipped.the way i did mine, was to drill the spot welds across the windshield bed, and down the sides, and leave about 2 inches of the firewall on the new piece, cut the entire pinchweld from the car, and slide the section down behind the firewall.

Sorry, it just struck me funny. The post is well written, it was just ironic. I won't mention the rebel in NY contrast. I'm glad you got the welder figured out. I borrowed an EFAB 250, which is a nice welder, from a friend and my welding is not pretty. In my case it is the weldor, not the welder.

'futzing'?!? LOL!!!

Let's see, weldor, folly, futzing, swoon, I'm thinking 1000 points per word. I don't believe I've ever seen a post or had a conversation with anyone that used all those words before. Heard 'em all, just not together.

1320stang said:
'futzing'?!? LOL!!!

Let's see, weldor, folly, futzing, swoon, I'm thinking 1000 points per word. I don't believe I've ever seen a post or had a conversation with anyone that used all those words before. Heard 'em all, just not together.

pretty sure i've seen swoon and futzing on the forum before but none of the others.

Brian,
Please excuse the 'smater', although your pointing it out had me in stitches!:rlaugh:
Drilling out the cowl definitely did suck!; but not nearly as much as the welding calamity that followed! That's an awfully scary can'o worms to open when you realize you might not be able to get it all back together.

Thanks for all of your kind words.

Platonic Solid said:
:lol: Especially, considering how well written Rebelgd's post is. Plus, I believe Rebelgd is the first poster to use the word "folly" on this forum.

Checking your link, Rebelgd, I see you actually removed the entire cowl. How much did that suck?

about as much as when i removed mine i'm sure :D

mine turned out quite awesome though, and it's off to the paint shop on monay