Front and Rear Sway Bar... Adjustable or Non Adjustable

• Sponsors (?)

Im looking at buying some sway bars im stuck inbetween getting adjustable or non adjustable. I'm no suspension expert and have no clue how to make the correct adjustments. If anyone has any feedback that'd be great. I'm looking at eibach swaybars if that is help any.

I was wondering the same thing yesterday. Just researching my build, and wasn't sure which settings work best on these cars.

The adjustable bar has several settings depending on what stiffness you are looking for. I saw on another forum that there are different settings that come with the instuctions, you just have to pick which one you want.

I think having the ability to adjust could come in handy though. Eventually, someone besides you and I will join the conversation that has a set of aftermarket sways on their new Mustang...lol
haha well ill prob just call eibach tomorrow and ask them. I called AM and I asked for their opinion and they just said it was up to me..... so no help at all. Im gonna get to the bottom of this and once i get it ill make a thread so no one else will be stuck like us. haha

Reactions: 1 user
haha well ill prob just call eibach tomorrow and ask them. I called AM and I asked for their opinion and they just said it was up to me..... so no help at all. Im gonna get to the bottom of this and once i get it ill make a thread so no one else will be stuck like us. haha

.....well i looked all over eibachs web site and i couldnt find any number to contact them directly so im gonna have to do a little more research.

Why Not spend $40 extra for an adjustable.. Plus, with Steedas (just put mine on), the adjustable is thicker and stiffer to begin with. here is a photo:

IMG_6695.jpg

I put it on the stiffest setting and no problem at all, but I used mine for better cornering since I dont want to lower the car.
RC

Why Not spend $40 extra for an adjustable.. Plus, with Steedas (just put mine on), the adjustable is thicker and stiffer to begin with. here is a photo:

IMG_6695.jpg

I put it on the stiffest setting and no problem at all, but I used mine for better cornering since I dont want to lower the car.
RC
dude that looks so good, i think i may just go for the adjustable b.c. itll be a while fore i goet coil overs to lower my car. I love steeda and it looks like they did a great job again!

dude that looks so good, i think i may just go for the adjustable b.c. itll be a while fore i goet coil overs to lower my car. I love steeda and it looks like they did a great job again!
My friend at a car dealer put this on for me, but he knows Steeda stuff well. If you only want to lower car for cornering, you may not need to when you see how this goes around curves. If you want to lower it for looks, then this doesnt do much. Im tired of cars scraping and not getting lifts under them, which is why I will NOT lower this car.
RC

RC

What kind of cornering? On ramps, track corners, curvy roads with lots of switchbacks? What difference did you notice in the behavior of the car? Does it tend to oversteer more easily now?

What kind of cornering? On ramps, track corners, curvy roads with lots of switchbacks? What difference did you notice in the behavior of the car? Does it tend to oversteer more easily now?
Mainly around hwy off ramps (for fun). Turning corners..not so much track.

I did a 90* right turn today over 40mph and the back swung around :banana: hard. On stiffest setting now, so When I get a chance, Ill take it on an off ramp and see how it handles before I make a decisino to loosen it.

With all high performance parts comes a comfort issue. You'll hear every single road noise from the rear end with RCAs. You'll hear all transmission noises with a shifter. ETC.. I traded my "hot rod" 97 Cobra for a smooth 2008 and I hate to make it loud and rough just yet. It WILL come, just not right now. :bang:

Copentrey - one of the advantages of adjustable sta-bars (short for "stabilizer bars", which is the real part name for these things) is that they will allow you to tune the car to your preference (if the front end seems to "push" too much, stiffen the rear bar or soften the front, if it's tailhappy or "loose", take some adjustment out of the rear bar or stiffen the front).

They'll also allow some room for growth, both for the car as you continue to modify its suspension as well as for you as a driver. BTW, don't underestimate that second one. If you're inclined to "play" a bit through the corners you can spend the rest of your life getting better at it.

I do happen to have adjustable sta-bars at both ends of my '08 GT (Sam Strano's, FWIW). I've adjusted the rear one once (to full firm), and the front not at all (mid setting), but that's all subject to change if I ever get around to swapping springs - which will almost certainly change the handling balance a bit. I might even end up springing for a slightly heavier adjustable rear bar that has only recently become available.

If you go much stiffer with the bars or their settings than OE (and particularly if you swap in stiffer springs), you'll want to upgrade the shocks and struts. The OE dampers will still work, just not as well as they won't be able to provide the same amount of damping relative to the spring or bar stiffnesses. You may or may not notice the ride becoming just a little "float-ier" than before under some conditions, or a slight change in cornering behavior if you keep the OE springs/shocks.

Let's just say that even though I don't do this suspension stuff as a day job, I've been at it a lot longer than either my membership here or my post count might be suggesting.

Norm

Reactions: 1 user
Copentrey - one of the advantages of adjustable sta-bars (short for "stabilizer bars", which is the real part name for these things) is that they will allow you to tune the car to your preference (if the front end seems to "push" too much, stiffen the rear bar or soften the front, if it's tailhappy or "loose", take some adjustment out of the rear bar or stiffen the front).

They'll also allow some room for growth, both for the car as you continue to modify its suspension as well as for you as a driver. BTW, don't underestimate that second one. If you're inclined to "play" a bit through the corners you can spend the rest of your life getting better at it.

I do happen to have adjustable sta-bars at both ends of my '08 GT (Sam Strano's, FWIW). I've adjusted the rear one once (to full firm), and the front not at all (mid setting), but that's all subject to change if I ever get around to swapping springs - which will almost certainly change the handling balance a bit. I might even end up springing for a slightly heavier adjustable rear bar that has only recently become available.

If you go much stiffer with the bars or their settings than OE (and particularly if you swap in stiffer springs), you'll want to upgrade the shocks and struts. The OE dampers will still work, just not as well as they won't be able to provide the same amount of damping relative to the spring or bar stiffnesses. You may or may not notice the ride becoming just a little "float-ier" than before under some conditions, or a slight change in cornering behavior if you keep the OE springs/shocks.

Let's just say that even though I don't do this suspension stuff as a day job, I've been at it a lot longer than either my membership here or my post count might be suggesting.

Norm

Thank you for helping me out. I think im slowly going to pice my suspention together. With this i figure i might as well get the adjustable so one day when i get coil overs or what ever i decide i will not have to replace the sway bars as well. Thank You for this awesome response and If its ok i will keep in touch with you to help me out. thanks alot!!!!