front brake pads ???

X2. ^

Wagner Thermo quiets are nice stock replacements as well. Avoid any poop boys, Advanced Auto or any house brand pads. Don't forget the disc brake pad anti squeak spray or gel. I always at a minimum turn my rotors if they are within spec or replace with new ones, repack the bearings with fresh grease, and check the calipers and hoses for leaks. Spray down the rotors with brake clean after you get them back from the machine shop or even new ones to remove any crud, film, or grease marks. Make sure you preload the bearings with a torque wrench after install.

While you are at it think about replacing the following, as it makes a noticeable improvement in braking for not much $$$
-replace the stock 25 year old hoses with a new set- SS is a nice upgrade-
-SS caliper bushings for the bolts
-Lincoln MKVII 73MM calipers- bolt right in vs the stock 60MM calipers.

whats the bigger dia piston gonna do? i always forget.. is that gonna make the pedal softer? and whats the exact application i would ask for?

• Sponsors (?)

I run EBC Green Stuff pads on my Mustang, they are a bit dusty, but to me they have pretty good stopping power. I also have cross drilled rotors and Maximum Motorsports SVO Mustang calipers.

I originally was going to use Hawk HPS pads when I upgraded my brakes but when I pulled the pads out of the box and one of the prongs that go into the brake piston fell right off the pad when I went to install it, well needless to say that turned me off of the Hawk brake pads real quick!

I've run hawk pads successfully on both the mustang and corvette. Also, a bit of misinfo in this thread, I believe. From the research I've done in the past, ceramic pads are much more prone to fade and do no offer any other performance advantage over carbon. Their advantage is price and brake dust.

I've run hawk pads successfully on both the mustang and corvette. Also, a bit of misinfo in this thread, I believe. From the research I've done in the past, ceramic pads are much more prone to fade and do no offer any other performance advantage over carbon. Their advantage is price and brake dust.
I don't like to get involved in these types of discussions but...I'll give you my personal experience.
I drive like crap..its true. Gas till the last second and then brake. I had a truck that would warp rotors and wear out pads, wheels were always black. I tried all grades and brands of pads. I bought CHEAP ceramics from ebay and never had to replace them again. The rotors don't warp, the wheels are dustless and no pedal fade. Since then I have installed them on every car I have when they need replaced. Never a squeal, pulsation, no dust. My current truck has them with 35/12.50-18's and chrome wheels. No issues. 100% ceramic for me. Just sayin.

which ones you got gearhead?
I have no idea. They are always in a cheap looking box. I buy the cheapest ones on ebay I can find that are ceramic. I look for the light tan looking pads. Wish I had a better answer. Brand makes no difference to me. I've bought about 10 sets. Even have them on the Jeep which is lifted also. Love them all. I'll look and see if I can find a seller I used.

I put a set of cheap organic pads on my '02 Honda Accord, and they've done just fine hauling it down from autobahn speeds. I'm not expecting to set any braking records with them, but swapping pads on the front and pads/rotors on the back for about $50 makes me pretty happy. I don't go about taking much risk in the Honda by driving too fast, though. The Corvette and Mustang on the other hand... Let's just say, when I need the brakes the most, I'll be sure that I bought the right kind. The HPS is a good performing pad. I had an extra set for the Corvette and it was getting down to the end their life. So, I put the new set on, today. :nice:

X2. ^

Wagner Thermo quiets are nice stock replacements as well. Avoid any poop boys, Advanced Auto or any house brand pads.

Funny you should say that. I NEVER bought store brand brake pads. Even with name brand you still run into an occasional squeak. Before taking my Mitsubishi up to Detroit I did the front brakes on it and all they had was store brand. I figured it's only got to get me 8 miles and back from the airport up there, whatever. Best set of brake pads I've ever purchased. Stops like a champ.

All the good brake pads are a trade off. The Hawks stop really well, but they dust a lot, and that dust is a little more caustic and tends to eat at you wheels. They go through rotors quicker too. The Ceramics stop pretty well, but dust a little more than semimetallics, but they are very easy on the rotors. A good set of semi metallics is all you really need.

Kurt

for drilled rotors, i was told i HAD TO use ceramic- is this the truth? And, any recommendations as to brand- EBC, Hawk , or Wagner? Thanks.
i wouldnt use ceramic on anything... drilled rotors would be a huge NO from me! they have issues cracking as it is and pushing heat into them would just make them crack easier in my opinion

Drilled rotors IMO are a waste for most street cars. A good set of blanks has more surface area and will stop a car just as fast if not better. Plus, drilled rotors are prone to heat cracks. Finally, getting them turned properly is not as easy as blanks. Unless you spring for a set of EBC, Wilwood, or other high end drilled rotors, save your money,

Damn autocorrect. No, the rotors aren't made in China.....I hope. I don't drive the car enough to worry about it. I'm pretty sure I've purchased the last set of brake pads I will ever have to buy for the car.

Kurt