Front brakes pop when first applied

50sleeper

Founding Member
Mar 4, 2001
I am running brand new Ford OEM pads (left on left, right on right), Napa Ultra Premium Rotors and Steeda stainless steel sleeves. I also picked up 4 new locating bolts (or whatever they care called) but that made no difference.

My issue is when I first apply the brakes I get a single "pop" noise as the pads move slightly and contact the locating pins. If I reverse out of a parking spot I get it again, and then again the first time I apply the brakes after changing direction.

If my car is parked I can walk up to it and move the front outside pads with my hand and duplicate the noise as there is like a 1/16" of an inch of slop around the locating pins and the holes in the brackets on the pads.

Anyone else ever have this problem? What gives? :mad:

• Sponsors (?)

When you let off the brake pedal your system should fill the caliper with break fluid from the master cylinder, Thus eliminating and gap between the pad and the rotor. If the caliper does not fill, it will have a space and that space is the POP. Check the master cylinder, then fill it. If there is air in the system, your going to have to bleed it.