Front bumper cover removal/installation

inferno9898

May 17, 2003
My haynes manual says that in removing the cover I need to drill out two rivets. It also says installation is the reverse of removal....does this mean I need some kind of rivet gun? If so, is the $20 one i saw on sears.com good enough? I don't know anything at all about riveting.

It's a 2000 GT by the way

• Sponsors (?)

to be honest i don't think you need a rivet gun... i have the ford manual for the mustang and it just has things that you must unscrew... but no rivets or anything like that

You will need a rivet gun... the brackets that attach to the bumper and the fenders use rivets to attach to the bumper... unless the bumper you are puting on has the bracket already installed...

Lemme know if that made sense... :p

yes, made plenty of sense...and since ill likely be ordering the replacement off of bumpers.com, it probably wont come with the brackets. i was checking sears.com and there are $100 pneumatic rivet guns, and $15 manual ones....are those good enough for this job?

inferno9898 said:
yes, made plenty of sense...and since ill likely be ordering the replacement off of bumpers.com, it probably wont come with the brackets. i was checking sears.com and there are $100 pneumatic rivet guns, and $15 manual ones....are those good enough for this job?
I'm really not sure... when I put on my Cobra front bumper I went to the body shop where they painted it and asked them to remove the old bracket and put it on my new bumper and the guy did it for free :nice:

When I installed my Styling Bar I needed to rivet some brackets. I bought a manual rivet gun from Home Depot for $18.00 (it was a nice one with a swivel-head). It does various sized rivets. I think that's all you need.