front disc conversion kits

Hi all .... just a quickie. I am going to convert my drums to disc on my 65 f/b ... as I live in Spain I can't get the parts for a Granada conversion so was considering buying either the Stainless Steel kit or the Wilwood kit. The Stainless kit has a lot more (booster, m/cylinder, hubs etc.) has anyone used either of these, and what is the verdict??
cheers

• Sponsors (?)

Do you want power or non-power discs?
I have the wilwoods in a non-power setup. Still is much easier than non-power drums. I believe most everyone will recommend the setup they used because you hear very little problems with each setup. I recommend the wilwoods. The plus's I can give you are: very light weight race type setup and the parts used in wilwood's kits are very universal. A large number of manufacturers make rotors and pads that fit so you don't have to go back to wilwood for replacements. This competition makes the parts not cost much more than if you were buying the parts for your newer factory disc brake car. Plus, it may be easier to find the parts in Europe.

I installed the SS Brake Corp. disk brake conversion yesterday. Installing the brake calipers and other parts were a snap. I still have to install the MC and bleed the system but it looks pretty easy. Its a great kit and seems to come with every thing.

I have been checking out the SSBC setup and it only lists for if the car is an auto when pre 1967 ... mine is a manual. I also realise that the original spindles are used but the description of these kits isn't very clear i.e. if a booster is included or not. Would I be able to adapt a kit for a later car .. 67 or 68 ? I don't mind doing a little extra work :)

SSBC cut their teeth on factory replacement style parts, I know they sell big rotor/caliper stuff now, but the OEM style is still their forte.

I'd opt for Wilwood or Baer over SSBC any day. I put the 12.25 Wilwoods on the back of my car and am weighing my options for using the same brand calipers on the front, the problem is they don't offer a "kit" for 13-inch rotors so I'll have to do some mix-n-match.

Edbert said:
SSBC cut their teeth on factory replacement style parts, I know they sell big rotor/caliper stuff now, but the OEM style is still their forte.

I'd opt for Wilwood or Baer over SSBC any day. I put the 12.25 Wilwoods on the back of my car and am weighing my options for using the same brand calipers on the front, the problem is they don't offer a "kit" for 13-inch rotors so I'll have to do some mix-n-match.

check out www.hotrodheaven.com theyve got some big rotor wilwood kits for vintage stangs, some are complete wilwood kits, some are kits theyve put together using wilwood calipers.. Im looking at their 12.19" kit, they sell it for $801.00.

I have and have installed Baer, Willwood and SSBC. The Baer and SSBC are more expensive but (I think) a little better unit. I think the Baer and the SSBC are closely equal systems with the Baer being just a little easier to install. The replacement pads for the Baer calipers can be crossed at most auto parts stores; mine correlate to a 84 corvette.

I've been running a SSBC non-power "Super Duty Brake Kit" A120-2 since 2001. The install was a piece of cake. Kit came with rotors, calipers, hardware, and master cylinder.

Functionally there is no compairson to running front drums.

TT670 said:
check out www.hotrodheaven.com theyve got some big rotor wilwood kits for vintage stangs, some are complete wilwood kits, some are kits theyve put together using wilwood calipers.. Im looking at their 12.19" kit, they sell it for $801.00.
Thats a pretty good link, thanks! I see that they do up to a 12.90 rotor, but it takes those 6-piston calipers to do that and that kist costs $1,600+! I've got room for 13s and would prefer a decent 4-piston setup, particularly for Wilwood since I've got them on my 9 out back. Word is that Global West has something coming out soon, just not yet.

I've sent them an email to see about their "custom adapters" for large late-model rotor styles.

Edbert
Global west has had those avail for a while now, . Pro vintange disc brakes.
They're around 1900.00 but completey assembled with HD spindles off of the 70 mustangs. check out globalwest.net