Front end Clunk

07gtcs

Dec 7, 2006
Anyone else having a problem with a clunking noise coming from the front end while slow speeds. It sounds like something is loose in the suspension or something. I only have 800 miles on it. I didn't really notice the noise until recently...

• Sponsors (?)

Jack up the front end, remove the front wheels. Check and make sure the sway bar end links are tight. The end links are what connect the end of the sway bar to the strut. They're vertical, can't miss 'em. Mine were loose a year after I put Eibachs on and clunked like a mofo over rough roads. Once I tightened the end links, it's been solid ever since.

Dealer

Sir I would take the car to the dealer and have them address this asap. That fella that said to jack it up and remove the wheels and all, may be right about what is wrong, but with 800 miles on MY car I would have been to the dealer allready.

We cant have clunking noises going on in the front end, its not safe, its sure not normal. My 07 has 7.500 miles or so on it and nothing clunks in the front end or any where else. Its go to be something simple, no big deal for the dealer.

Jack up the front end, remove the front wheels. Check and make sure the sway bar end links are tight. The end links are what connect the end of the sway bar to the strut. They're vertical, can't miss 'em. Mine were loose a year after I put Eibachs on and clunked like a mofo over rough roads. Once I tightened the end links, it's been solid ever since.

I was googling around and found the following recall. It appears it's a problem with a weld.

Recall Date:
OCT 27, 2006

Model Affected:
2007 FORD MUSTANG

Summary:
CERTAIN AFTERMARKET EIBACH BRANDED FRONT STRUTS ONLY, PART NO. 35101.8001, AND EIBACH BRANDED FRONT STRUTS AS SUSPENSION KITS, PART NOS. 35101.840, 35101.680, 35101.780, 35100.680, 35100.780, 4.10135.680, AND 4.10035.780, SOLD FOR USE ON 2005 THROUGH 2007 FORD MUSTANG VEHICLES. THE FRONT ANTI ROLL BAR ATTACHMENT BRACKET ON THE FRONT STRUT CAN SEPARATE FROM THE STRUT HOUSING DUE TO INCONSISTENT WELDING. THIS COULD RESULT IN A CLUNKING NOISE AND OR POOR HANDLING IN EXTREME OR EMERGENCY MANEUVERS.

Consequence:
IF THE BROKEN BRACKET CONTACTS THE TIRE, SIDEWALL DAMAGE CAN OCCUR, POSSIBLY RESULTING IN A VEHICLE CRASH.

Remedy:
EIBACH WILL NOTIFY OWNERS AND OFFER TO PROVIDE NEW STRUTS FREE OF CHARGE. THE RECALL IS EXPECTED TO BEGIN ON DECEMBER 1, 2006. OWNERS MAY CONTACT EIBACH AT 951-256-8300.

Potential Units Affected:

Notes:
EIBACH SPRINGS, INC.

I was googling around and found the following recall. It appears it's a problem with a weld.

Recall Date:
OCT 27, 2006

Model Affected:
2007 FORD MUSTANG

Summary:
CERTAIN AFTERMARKET EIBACH BRANDED FRONT STRUTS ONLY, PART NO. 35101.8001, AND EIBACH BRANDED FRONT STRUTS AS SUSPENSION KITS, PART NOS. 35101.840, 35101.680, 35101.780, 35100.680, 35100.780, 4.10135.680, AND 4.10035.780, SOLD FOR USE ON 2005 THROUGH 2007 FORD MUSTANG VEHICLES. THE FRONT ANTI ROLL BAR ATTACHMENT BRACKET ON THE FRONT STRUT CAN SEPARATE FROM THE STRUT HOUSING DUE TO INCONSISTENT WELDING. THIS COULD RESULT IN A CLUNKING NOISE AND OR POOR HANDLING IN EXTREME OR EMERGENCY MANEUVERS.

Consequence:
IF THE BROKEN BRACKET CONTACTS THE TIRE, SIDEWALL DAMAGE CAN OCCUR, POSSIBLY RESULTING IN A VEHICLE CRASH.

Remedy:
EIBACH WILL NOTIFY OWNERS AND OFFER TO PROVIDE NEW STRUTS FREE OF CHARGE. THE RECALL IS EXPECTED TO BEGIN ON DECEMBER 1, 2006. OWNERS MAY CONTACT EIBACH AT 951-256-8300.

Notes:
EIBACH SPRINGS, INC.

Keep in mind this is for Eibach struts, not springs ;)

good job!

Recall Date:
OCT 27, 2006

Model Affected:
2007 FORD MUSTANG

Summary:

Consequence:

Remedy:

Notes:
EIBACH SPRINGS, INC.

"IF THE BROKEN BRACKET CONTACTS THE TIRE, SIDEWALL DAMAGE CAN OCCUR, POSSIBLY RESULTING IN A VEHICLE CRASH."

That sentance alone says it all! Awsome search results man! Good Job, lets See Ford fix this now.

"IF THE BROKEN BRACKET CONTACTS THE TIRE, SIDEWALL DAMAGE CAN OCCUR, POSSIBLY RESULTING IN A VEHICLE CRASH."

That sentance alone says it all! Awsome search results man! Good Job, lets See Ford fix this now.

not factory struts, eibach struts only.

about the clunk, tighten the sway bar endlinks to 85 lb-ft. thats the spec, and they rattle if not properly torqued.

If someone figures it out please let the rest of us know. I have tightned everything in sight and still had a slight clunk at the passenger side front. I installed a complete Roush suspension front and back, the car handles awsome but I still have a slight clunk in the front end. Large bumps are fine, it is just when you drop the front wheels off the garage floor to the driveway (a sharp quick bump) is when it clunks. I have given up for the present time and just turn the tunes up a little louder. Hopfully someone will figure it out and let the rest of us know.
It's very annoying, perhaps we should all get together and post a reward to who ever solves this mystery. HA HA !!!!

not factory struts, eibach struts only.

about the clunk, tighten the sway bar endlinks to 85 lb-ft. thats the spec, and they rattle if not properly torqued.
I'll have to pull out my torque wrench to see if they are at 85 ft lbs. It is easier than having to drive 45 miles to the dealer.

i had a slight clunk in the front, after i lowered the car (following torque specs on everything as i went), the clunk went away. i am sure this will help out many people with this issue, but maybe not all.

I installed a complete Roush suspension front and back, the car handles awsome but I still have a slight clunk in the front end. Large bumps are fine, it is just when you drop the front wheels off the garage floor to the driveway (a sharp quick bump) is when it clunks.

Sounds like a shock arm might be over extending and hitting the end of the shock body. This could be due to premature wear, flaw in that particular shock, or the wrong shock/spring combo.

Sounds like a shock arm might be over extending and hitting the end of the shock body. This could be due to premature wear, flaw in that particular shock, or the wrong shock/spring combo.

I'll be taking it soon to see what the dealer has to say.

Mr Q - I see that you have an 07 auto with the Corsa. How do you like them. I keep hearing that there is absolutely no cabin drone. Is that true?

Yup, ZERO cabin drone yet an AWESOME sound.

Guys on here griping about the Corsa's sounding too quiet haven't let someone else drive their car while they stand outside of it. And that's where you want the sound anyway!

It sounds EVIL. WoT scares small children especially. ;)

Yup, ZERO cabin drone yet an AWESOME sound.

Guys on here griping about the Corsa's sounding too quiet haven't let someone else drive their car while they stand outside of it. And that's where you want the sound anyway!

It sounds EVIL. WoT scares small children especially. ;)
I agree! Quiet on the inside and freaggin' load outside...that's how it should be.

If anyone is gripping about their Corsas, I'll take them. If you want load on the inside MAC is the way to go. Just be warned, that every bolt iniside your car will eventually come loose.