Front end protection

skunk21

May 22, 2007
Taxachusetts
I had the 3M paint protection film put on my Lincoln to protect the front end & headlights. Great product and you can't really see it at all. The guy at the shop took a small sample off the cutter and had me try and put my key through it. The key wouldn't puncture the material but it streched pretty far. I only wish I did it to my other vehicles totally worth it. here are some pics..

ry%3D400

ry%3D400

ry%3D400

The bra is hard to see in these pics and in person. The edge shows up at the right angle which is what i like about it.

ry%3D400

here is a close up of the actual edge on the fender.

ry%3D400

ry%3D400

They put a small piece under the gas door so the gas cap wouldn't scratch teh side when it hangs down and along the edge of the bumper by the rear tire for xtra protection.

ry%3D400

here is a pic showing the actual pieces.

ry%3D400

They also add in pieces into the cups behind the door handles, along the door edges and across the top of the rear bumper along the trunk opening which I though was a nice touch.

ry%3D400

last thing, they also cover the headlights. up here the headlights get killed in the winters sand blasting so this is going to be a saver. The film comes right off and doesn't wreck the paint and sections can be fixed if needed. the edges are heat sealed so the don't lift. great product I highly recommend it. I would love to do the stang after it's painted but I'm thinking the nose on the GT might be alot harder to do vs the modern stuff.

• Sponsors (?)

If you dont mind saying, what did that end up costing you?

I assume you can just wax it regularly?

just over $500. you can wax it, if any builds up on the edge just use a q-tip and some rubbing alcohol and it comes off. Some have said "isn't it cheaper to just repaint the front end". I highly doubt a quality paint job would be cheaper + the car looks like crap until it gets to the point of needed a repaint. also add in the headlight protection and the other spots. one just has to decide if its worth it to them. This car will see alot of highway time and the one we traded in looked pretty sad after 3yrs..touch up paint will only go so far.

here is a helpful link..
For the Consumer

Looks good. I highly regret not doing that to my g35. Now the nose is all beat up from living at 80mph most of the time. :(

Same here. I actually just replaced the front bumper w/a Sport bumper that was already painted in my color instead of repainting my own. It ended up costing less overall once I sold the the original :nice: My G has a similar product on the front of the rear wheel wheels, but it's a little more noticeable. It's not bad but I wouldn't want that on my Mustang. This product, I like.

I'd always considered doing this to the Mustang once I repainted the front bumper. Still considering it. I'm having it repainted this fall and I suppose that'll be the best time to shop around and see what it'll cost to cover it up for good.

I like the look of it now.....I worry though that after a coulple of years of use, that road grime and UV exposure might give it that yellow tinge like the one we get on out headlights we all hate? What's it like for removal?

I like the look of it now.....I worry though that after a coulple of years of use, that road grime and UV exposure might give it that yellow tinge like the one we get on out headlights we all hate? What's it like for removal?

I think the general idea is to last for about 4 or 5 years, peel and replace rather than repaint your bumper every 4-5 years, even though it costs an average of $250 to have a fox bumper redone, if it was a bit cheaper i would get it

copied straight from 3M's site..

Q. Will Scotchgard™ Paint Protection Film harm the painted surface if the film is removed?
A. If the film is properly applied to a fully cured painted vehicle, it can be removed, usually in one piece, without damaging paint surfaces beneath the film.

Q. Does Scotchgard™ Paint Protection Film resist yellowing?
A. Yes, it resists yellowing because the film is constructed of thermoplastic urethane, a tough, conformable material that is covered by a clear coat layer. The film and clear coat layers contain UV protectants to counteract harmful ultraviolet rays that can cause yellowing.

Q. How is Scotchgard™ Paint Protection Film maintained?
A. Once applied, refrain from washing the vehicle in an automated car wash for 24 hours. Washing after that time presents no problem, and no special care need be taken for the film.

Q. Can I use wax over Scotchgard™ Paint Protection Film?
A. Yes. When waxing the vehicle, some wax may build up along the film edges. This can easily be removed when dry with a soft cloth, such as a 3M™ High Performance Cloth. Do not use any waxes containing dyes or waxes that are not recommended for urethanes. Abrasive polishes and/or rubbing compounds are not to be used

Q. What products does 3M recommend to best maintain Scotchgard™ Paint Protection Film?
A. 3M makes a variety of products to help maintain the beauty of your vehicle. 3M™ Car Wash Soap (3M Part #39000), 3M™ Show Car Paste Wax (3M Part #39526 and 3M™ Perfect-It Show Car Liquid Wax (3M Part #39026). The best surface cloth to use is the 3M™ Perfect-IT™ III Detailing Cloth (3M Part #39016) since others may scratch the surface of the film.

Q. How is Scotchgard™ Paint Protection Film removed?
A. If desired, film can be removed at any time by picking up a corner of the film and pulling the film off the vehicle surface at a 90-degree angle. If the film has been present a long time, or if the film and vehicle are cold, a heat gun or hair dryer may be used to soften the adhesive, allowing easier removal. If any adhesive remains on the vehicle after removal of the film, it can be removed by using 3M™ General Purpose Adhesive Cleaner (3M Part #08984), according to the package directions.

Q. After Scotchgard™ Paint Protection Film has been removed, how do I get any excess adhesive off my vehicle?
A. If any adhesive remains on the vehicle after removal of the film, it can be removed by using 3M™ General Purpose Adhesive Cleaner (3M Part #08984), according to the package directions.

Q. What is the Scotchgard™ Paint Protection Film warranty?
A. 3M warrants that Scotchgard™ Paint Protection Film, installed after November 1, 2003, will be free of defects in materials and manufacture — including yellowing, bubbling, or cracking — for five (5) years from date of purchase. This warranty does not apply to damage caused by misuse, accident, misapplication, or ordinary wear, nor does it apply to dents caused by physical impact of rocks or road debris.

I waited about 36hrs and put a coat of 3m polish the dealer sold me he uses on the film. It only needs it a few times a year. then use what ever wax you like for the rest of the car. If any was to build up on the edge he uses a q-tip and rubbing alcohol to remove it. It's not really a hard edge so I don't see a problem with dirt, etc.