Front end push

bronco78

Jul 9, 2005
Front end push

And scrubbing tires hard. Went for a spirited drive this afternoon.. Looking for every low and high speed corner and turn I could find.. Coastal drive, on ramps, some other nice S’s along the way… The front end pushes… controllable.. but feels heavy.. and pushes when med to faster entrance speeds are maintained… Reach the apex.. feed in some more gas.. and the push gets worse till you can feel the tires start to let go.

I realize I’m playing with do it all OEM tires… But for a car supposedly balanced almost 50/50.. It seems a bit off. Could be I want more from the stock tires then they have to give. Could be I need to play with the suspension a bit….. could be I don’t know how to drive :rolleyes:

So Normal for a stock GT? For those that have lowered the GT a bit.... What difference have you noticed? If you did not install any other items for bump steer, roll center, ect.. Do you now have any squirrelly handling issues now?

• Sponsors (?)

Take a spring rubber out of the right rear and add a round of wedge to the left side. Also, go with a softer spring in the right front and make sure any hot dog wrappers are removed from the grill so your front downforce is maximized. That should do it!

bronco78 said:
Front end push

And scrubbing tires hard. Went for a spirited drive this afternoon.. Looking for every low and high speed corner and turn I could find.. Coastal drive, on ramps, some other nice S’s along the way… The front end pushes… controllable.. but feels heavy.. and pushes when med to faster entrance speeds are maintained… Reach the apex.. feed in some more gas.. and the push gets worse till you can feel the tires start to let go.

I realize I’m playing with do it all OEM tires… But for a car supposedly balanced almost 50/50.. It seems a bit off. Could be I want more from the stock tires then they have to give. Could be I need to play with the suspension a bit….. could be I don’t know how to drive :rolleyes:

So Normal for a stock GT? For those that have lowered the GT a bit.... What difference have you noticed? If you did not install any other items for bump steer, roll center, ect.. Do you now have any squirrelly handling issues now?

A higher performance tire will help the initial turn in but you may want to play with the alighnment settings. More negitive camber and more positive castor will help reduce understeer. A stiffer rear sway bar will decrease understeer too!

If you upgrade all 4 tires then any additional grip they provide in the front will be matched in the rear. It will be at a higher speed when the car begins to push, but it will still push.

The best answer here is simple but fairly expensive.

1) You need to lower the vehicle. A lower CG will help some but won't solve all problems. Make sure the springs you choose lower it more in the rear than in the front as the front is already lower. This will even out the rake and give more nuetral handeling.
*If you lower the rear too much you will need a camber kit.

2) I suggest stiffer sway bars. On the new stang, as with most cars, the front has less body roll than the rear. This causes the car to push. Eibach has a sway bar kit that provides an Adjustable bar in front to make it up to 40% stiffer. The rear bar is not adjustable but is 100% stiffer than stock. This stiffens the rear of the chassis and will help promote oversteer.

3) Next I would upgrade shocks & struts. the stock ones are too soft in my opinion. Tokico d-specs are adjustable so they can be softened for the street or firmed up for the track.

That will get you started. Then you run into panhard bars, strut tower braces, etc...

Do not put on a front strut tower brace if you are getting understeer, this will only make it worse.

vetteski said:
Take a spring rubber out of the right rear and add a round of wedge to the left side. Also, go with a softer spring in the right front and make sure any hot dog wrappers are removed from the grill so your front downforce is maximized. That should do it!

Ahh, thanks :rolleyes: I think I heard your mom calling you for milk and nap time :p

VistaBlue 06 GT said:
If you upgrade all 4 tires then any additional grip they provide in the front will be matched in the rear. It will be at a higher speed when the car begins to push, but it will still push.

The best answer here is simple but fairly expensive.

1) You need to lower the vehicle. A lower CG will help some but won't solve all problems. Make sure the springs you choose lower it more in the rear than in the front as the front is already lower. This will even out the rake and give more nuetral handeling.
*If you lower the rear too much you will need a camber kit.

2) I suggest stiffer sway bars. On the new stang, as with most cars, the front has less body roll than the rear. This causes the car to push. Eibach has a sway bar kit that provides an Adjustable bar in front to make it up to 40% stiffer. The rear bar is not adjustable but is 100% stiffer than stock. This stiffens the rear of the chassis and will help promote oversteer.

3) Next I would upgrade shocks & struts. the stock ones are too soft in my opinion. Tokico d-specs are adjustable so they can be softened for the street or firmed up for the track.

That will get you started. Then you run into panhard bars, strut tower braces, etc...

Do not put on a front strut tower brace if you are getting understeer, this will only make it worse.

Ok,, thanks.. About what I was thinking I would hear.. Though did not know about the strut tower brace increasing understeer.

It's been a long time since owning a car made to turn on the street.....Off road vehicles, both 4 wheel and bikes have been my live for the last 20 years..... So I'm having to learn all over again,, this "handling" thing :D

A little understeer is a good thing. Presumably the 2005 Mustang GT has enough power to induce oversteer as necessary to counteract the understeer. Though I've never driven an '05, every other Mustang I've owned has no problem with this. Next time use the go pedal...