Front main oil seal.. how hard to replace?

92Patrol5.0

Founding Member
Sep 20, 1999
Cedar Rapids, Iowa
I need to change my harmonic damper b/c it's wobbly, so I figured while I had that stuff off I might as well swap in a new timing chair and gears I'm at it, and change the front seal. How much is involved in doing all of this? Would it be a good time to change the entire oil pan gasket? I think my rear main is leaking also. I just replaced my clutch about a year and a half ago and replaced the rear main also, but I think it's leaking again. So I'm going to drop the tranny and replace that again also. Should I go ahead and replace the oil pan gasket also? I have heard you have to jack up the motor or pull the motor to do so. I'm not sure if the pan gasket is leaking or not. But I have 163k on the engine. I'm more concerned about the front than the rear right now, since I have done that before, time consuming but fairly easy. Any help will be appreciated. Any tips you can give would be great!

• Sponsors (?)

The timing chain is not that big of a deal. Pull the balancer and then you can pull the timing cover and WP together. Don't forget the four bolts that come up from the oil pan,two on each side While its off you just tap outthe front seal. As far as the oil pan that a bigger challenge with the engine in the car. You have to have it in the air a little bit to clear teh K member. If youre going to have the flywheel off it will be much easier but youll still need to jack it up a little. Like the other said youve got about two days work

If youve replaced the rear main once then you probably should use a crank sleeve to make sure the surface doesnt have any gouges or burrs that are causing it to leak. You should be able to pick one up at your local speed shop, as most reputable shops use them on a frequent basis.

Thanks for the replies. What exactly is a crank sleeve? Is it easy to install in the process? I have another car to drive, the stang is now in storage for the winter, til mid March or so. So having it apart isn't a problem. Good tip on removing the timing chain cover. I read that in the manual that you don't need to remove the waterpump b/c you can take it off with the timing chain cover. That saved me a big headache b/c I just replaced the waterpump gasket a few months ago. My other question I guess is.... in the manual it said when removing the timing chain cover.... reove the oilpan-to-front cover attaching bolts. Use a thin bladed knife to cut the oil pan gasket flush with the cylinder block face prior to separating the cover from the block. Then on the install procedure it says to put sealant on the gasket surface on the oil pan and cut required sections of a new gasket on the oil pan. Do I need to buy a new oil pan gasket and cut the pieces to fit? or what do I need to do?

i just replace my waterpump, timing chain and gears. When you remove the timing cover, the front portion of the oil pan is exposed. I cut and remove the exposed oil pan gasket. I purchased a new oil pan gasket. Cut and spliced on the new gasket to the oil pan with RTV silicone as I put the timing cover back on. After a month, no leaks.

if you can, i suggest dropping your oil pan and replace the entire gasket. with the tranny disconnected, it should be easier.

I actually havnt installed one so i dont know how hard it is to do. Its just a really thin ring thats probably .0010 thick, i would assume it slides on with some oil.....but like i said i dont know for sure. I got this tip from custom performance in charlotte that said they put one on customers cars whenever the trans is out just as a precautionary measure to ensure the rear main doesnt leak. I took my car to them b/c ive changed the rear main like 3 times and it still wouldnt seal. So they told me what they do and now it doesnt leak a drop. Im not sure where you would get them, but maybe call up summit and ask them if they sell them. It was an expensive tip though....cost $360 to pull trans/etc....but they did tune the car up free of charge and it pulls/runs better than it ever has, so i guess it was money well spent. If you want their number I can give it to you and maybe they will tell you what exactly the install process is.

92Patrol5.0 said:
Do I need to buy a new oil pan gasket and cut the pieces to fit? or what do I need to do?

the auto parts store sell all the gaskets you need to change the timing chain cover all together(front seal, gasket for timing chain cover to block, cork gasket for timing chain cover to oil pain, water pump gasket,etc.) its a felpro kit that i usually get.

When you replaced the rear main seal, how did you do this? Did you mess with the oil pan? Did you put any lube on the rear main? I had a leaking problem and thought it was my rear main when it was the oil pan gasket not sealing around the "half circle" part.

When changing the chain, make sure you line the slot on the crank to the dot on the sprocket ;). Good luck, it's not that hard just time consuming.

fred