Front sits way too high after heads

nito88stang

Founding Member
May 23, 2002
Fullerton, California
My GT's front sits higher than the rear with stock springs. In the rear it has a 3 finger gap and in the front a 4 finger gap. Basically i've done h/c/i and a/c delete, removed foglight bracket. I didnt noticed the front was higher till after the new engine went in. Is this common?

Also, if i lower my car, will the front still by higher? I dont want my car too low and if i lower it it will only be like 1' all around. Anyone know of a set that lowers the front a bit more and the rear only like 1"?

Only other thing i could think of is gettin lowering springs for the front and chopping a coil off the rears?

Any comments appreciated :spot:

• Sponsors (?)

jrichker said:
Cutting the springs is not a good idea. You would lose the mount area that is part of the last coil or turn.
In that case, you just rotate the spring a little ways, and the spring mounts perfectly fine on the perch.
Don't cut the springs with heat, no cutting torches. That screws up the spring rate. While cutting springs isn't ideal, without getting coil overs which have adjustable spring perches, you have no other way to adjust ride height without different springs. Be carefull with how much you cut also. I can't imagine you need to cut more than 1/4 coil to get it level again. Cutting a little won't hurt anything. Cutting springs gets a bad name from people who try to do a 2" drop with the stock coils though. :rolleyes:
Also, have you rolled the car around since dropping the engine in? If you just drop the car on the ground after having it jacked in the air, the wheels will go down at a bad angle and the suspension will bind against itself. Just rolling it back and forth a couple times makes it sit right again.

I've driven teh car 5k miles since the engine went back in. I DONT wanna cut coils. Mainly i'm asking if its normal for the front to sit this much higher after alot of weight reduction in the nose area. And my other question is, does anyone know of springs that drop about 1" but that drop the front more than the rear so that my car will be raked a bit or at least sit level. Because with any springs that have a level drop all around i'd still have the problem of the front sitting higher.

nito88stang said:
And my other question is, does anyone know of springs that drop about 1" but that drop the front more than the rear so that my car will be raked a bit or at least sit level. Because with any springs that have a level drop all around i'd still have the problem of the front sitting higher.
Motorsport springs drop about 1" in front and 3/4" in rear. Pretty cheap too. Or just get some pep boys air shocks for the rear and pump the ass end up! :D

To answer your question directly:

YES!

Weight reduction gets the nose up real fast. My car was a bit higher after A/C delete and battery moving. A few hundred pounds later, she was a sky peeper. Some "C" springs will drop it back down but maybe some "b" springs would be a bit softer cause those c's are HARD.

If I had to do it over, I'd go coilovers right away. If you are weight reducing, this helps but another 20 or so pounds. Then you can choose the ride height you want.

Yep! I have the same problem although I haven't done anything to fix it yet. Front is a lot higher after h/c/i and a/c delete. I want to go coil over but the ones im looking at (maximum motorsports) are mad expensive.

dont cut the springs. do it right for godsakes. if you cut the springs you'll have worse ride quality with the car bouncing all over.go out and buy some drag launch springs and call it done. also the rear springs wear out quicker i've found because of all the constant weight on it. the gas tank takes it's toll on springs + spare tires & jack contribute, but not nearly as much. :nice:

I dont know why you guys dont like that look.I say put some drag springs in and it will sit even higher in front.Buy some 70 series tires for the front,and some wide @ss sneakers for the back,now your rockin :nice: