Front spring question....

Vinnietbird

Jun 2, 2005
Is there a difference in the front springs from a V-6 to V-8 '99 Mustang? I have a set of the V-6 springs and was thinking about using them to drop the from of the Bird a couple of inches.Any ideas?

• Sponsors (?)

Coupe springs?
If so, the GT fronts would have about 50 more lb-in, and the rears about 20 lb-in.

Personally, I would just go with progressive rate springs.

They were from a '99 Mustang coupe (since there were no hatch backs).I have them already (this car is on a tight budget after everything else was done) and thought that they may lower the front by a couple of inches.I have about 5 inches between the tire and the fender.Since I removed the a/c,smog and added a 5 speed,the car just sits right up there.I saw a guy who installed the '99 GT springs and his car looked great,so I thought maybe if the difference was negligible I'd throw the V-6 springs in and see what happens,but,I didn't want to go through all the work and have the car sit like it does now.I appreciate the help and your time.

The question about the donor was to see if they were coupe or 'vert springs.

The stock SN95 had a bad 4x4 stance. I'd talk to the guy with the base model springs on the car you liked - I'd bet he had to cut some coils to get the stance decent. And even so, the rates are so minimal (performance lowering springs can have about 50% more rate), you might have some handling issues.

Though it's a budget build, I'd atleast get a set of used perf springs personally.
Good luck.

SN95 springs are not that good. There are reasons why people take them out. My GT handles well, but it's nothing like my 5.0 with aftermarket springs. That damn car handles like it's on rails.

My problem is,with the Thunderbird,I've always been told that the stock springs on a Stang were shorter than the stock springs on a T-Bird (Fox body),therefor,Stang springs are,from what I hear (whatever that's worth),are already lowering springs for my car.I don't want it in the weeds at all,just down a couple of inches.I also know it's hard for most of you Stang guys to associate with the car I drive.I'm just trying to gather all the info I can before i start anything.The lowering springs for a Stang REALLY drop a Bird.

I just saw a list of springs on the T-Bird/Cougar forum and it showed the springs from the V-6 and GT as the same things.

FWIW, the info I have shows the GT springs at 450/210; F/R, respectively.
The V6 springs are listed at 400/190 F/R.

I personally can't answer since I don't have a T-bird. The TCCoA folks should have a good idea. Bump for ya (Bruce or some of the other T-bird guys on here might also know).