Front subframe question

Probably a stupid question, but it is really bugging me.

My subframes are not flat on the bottom all the way along the length. On the very last couple (or more) inches on the rear, they have what looks like a bump on the bottom. Sort of like if you take the letter p and rotate it ninety degrees clockwise.

Is this normal? I am trying to picture in my mind how the Stumpy subframe connectors take this into account. From the pictures on his site I am pretty sure that those are flat all the way on the front mounting area.

If it is normal, why???

Thanks,
Russ

• Sponsors (?)

Well, in my quest to read all the posts here, I found one back on page 5 or so
http://www.stangnet.com/mustang-forums/763322-stumpys-subframe-connector-question.html
that answers part of my question. Seems that the bump is normal.
But that still leaves why??

If I were to use Stumpy's subframe connectors I think I would want to cut off the bump so they fit flush. Can anyone give a reason not to cut them?

Btw, I would most likely be getting some square/rectangular tubing to put inside the subframe to reinforce it regardless. Depending on what I get and how much it costs I may just end up making my own connectors. Just don't know at this point. Too much future between now and that point. :)

Thanks,
Russ

i wouldn't recommend cutting the rails to make them fit.

i put a very small pie cuts on either side of the subframe connectors to contour them to the existing frame rail. then welded up the pie cuts when i welded the connecters to the rail. the pie cuts were very small. maybe a 1/4 inch at the top. doesn't take a whole lot to reshape them.

That is a great link.Thanks! It even has a picture of the torque boxes we were looking for. Might not be stock, but it shows what needs to be done.

As far as the cutting the front subframe back end, I was planning on putting a reinforcing tube inside both even if I just go with the Stubby connectors. But I really like how this guy did his. I can do that! I might add a bit more outrigger type pieces, and I think I would want to maybe add a piece of channel at the suframe/connector joint. I saw on a fox body site they talked about reinforcing the seat mount area, it might not be needed so much on our cars, but it looked simple and a good idea.

Very cool!

Now if I could just get approved on that site. :-(

Thanks again.
Russ