Front suspension problems

ballajb64

Jul 13, 2006
California
I am having front end suspension problems. When im on the freeway at high speeds and hit a bump car swerves. My steering also seems really loose, where as i speed up sometimes the wheel turns as if the alignment is off, but the car is still moving straight. What are somethings i can do to fix this?

here are some kits from mustang plus i was thinking about ordering, which one should i do or what do you think about them?

Mustang Parts from Mustangs Plus :: Suspension and Handling :: Spring & Handling Kits :: 1965-66 Grab-A-Trak® Performance Front Suspension & Handling Kit

Mustang Parts from Mustangs Plus :: Suspension and Handling :: Spring & Handling Kits :: 1965-66 Grab-A-Trak® Spring and Handling Kit

I dont think i need the rear as much but do you think these are good?

• Sponsors (?)

My guess, is it's going to be due to the alignment. If you took it to a shop and had them do a stock alignment, the car will feel very twitchy and want to wonder a lot at highway speeds. If this sounds like what you are experiencing, go back and have the alignment set to the performance specifications:

The original stock alignment setting for '64 - '66 Mustangs are:
Caster: -0.5*
Camber: -0.5*
Toe-In: 9/32"

The Performance alignment settings for the "Shelby" drop are:
Caster: +1.5° to +2.5°
Camber: 0 to -.5°
Toe: 1/8"

The biggest difference being in the Caster setting. A positive Caster setting will help the car to track straighter and return to center more quickly after a corner. The easiest way to describe it would be to think of a bicycle and angle of the front wheel fork. If the fork that connects the handle bars to the front wheel were to be straight up and down (0 degrees Caster) you would constantly need to steer to keep the bike going in a straight line. Now if the front fork were installed at an angle (think chopper - Positive Caster), you could take your hands off of the handle bars and the bike would continue to track in a straight line.