Front Suspension Question - Removing Spindle from Ball Joint?

I'm swapping a number of front suspension pieces off my 02' GT and had a quick question. How do I get the spindle off of the control arm ball joint?? I need to remove the control arm and me and a friend got stuck on this part and decided to finish tomorrow after banging it with a hammer and trying to pry it off. Whats the easiest way to get the ball joint thru the hole on the spindle??

Pics:

79165138ff6.jpg

16660329cj2.jpg

Thanks for the help!

:nice:

• Sponsors (?)

UPDATE...

Thanks for the help, I got the spindle off using a tool I rented.

BUT, now I have another problem. I CANNOT get the last bolt holding the control arm off no matter how hard I try. I read somewhere on here thru a search that you need to loosen the two bolts holding the steering rack to the k-member, and then just pry it forward until you have enough room. Well I have pried it forward as far as I can get it to go and the bolt will NOT come off.

Now the boot that it rubs against is torn and its starting to eat the metal collar inside of it!! I'm so angry! Can I replace this boot? Will having it torn as shown below create any adverse effects??

And how can I get this bolt off?? Do I have to just remove the whole steering rack, and if so how do I go about doing this?

Thanks so much for the help! This last bolt (on both sides) is holding me up from reassembling everything.

Thanks!

PICS:

s1cq4.jpg

s2tb1.jpg

UPDATE 2...

Ok got it off finally after a lot of maneuvering and broken fingers!

Just another quick question, since I now have that tear in the rubber boot - will that cause any new noises, etc...? Should I tape it up with something and shoot some grease in there (if so, what kind)?

Thanks for the help again!

Getting dirt and moisture in there could damage your rack. I'd get a new boot while your have everything disassembled. You'll have to unscrew your outer tie rod end and jam nut to take it off. Be sure to take measurements before you disassemble anything. And take care not to turn your steering wheel and spindles so you don't put your alignment out of whack.