Front sway bar end links

6Stang7

Jun 1, 2003
Livermore, CA
I just finished installing a 1 1/8" sway bar in the front, and then went to go install the rear one. When I was reading the directions, I noticed that it said that the end link bolts for the rear sway bar should NOT be over-tightened (it said you should be able to spin the washer) or it could cause failure. There were no directions with the front, so that got me thinking whether there is a limit to how tight the front end links should be. Anyone know specifically? I tightened might up to German torque specifications (Good-N-Tight); that too much?

• Sponsors (?)

Do you have a shop manual? I'd go look in mine but we're in different places. It might be in there. I'm not sure myself, but I'd imagine you don't want to over tighten them either considering you're wrenching down on rubber or polyurethane bushings. Whichever you have.

I don't think that I would install them loose like that. It doesn't make sense to me. I always just snug them up real good, but don't tighten them up real tight. I basically do like GDTrumob said. Maybe there is something different about your sway bars? What brand are they and do you have a picture?