front wheel bearings

95DRGT

Jul 18, 2002
Arlington,Texas
I know we have sealed bearings but should they be replaced at some point and how do you do it? Some type of kit or something?

130K on car and I've done regular wheel bearings before on other vehicles just not used to this sealed unit type.

• Sponsors (?)

The entire hub has to be replaced. A new one comes with the sealed bearings already lubed up, ready to install. I recently did both of mine. The hub assy. cost me about $62.00 each at O'reilly. Get some new hub nuts from Ford, also. They are 36mm and torqued to 189-254 lb-ft. You can borrow the socket and torque wrench from Autozone or somewhere else like that.

All you have to do is remove the dust cap, unbolt the nut, pull off the old hub, push on the new hub, tighten the new nut down, and reinstall the dust cap.

Rick

Tools

Is there a special tool or socket needed to remove the nut holding the bearing.. I'm going to replace the studs with longer studs for bogart wheels over Cobra brakes? There's a spring steel nut cover or lock in the way?? :bang: not sure how to remove it..

HELP

The nut is 36mm. Pry the dust cap off. I used channel locks to grab and twist it off. Be careful not to damage the cap, though. The parts stores don't seem to have the right cap available.

Rick

That nut and cover (and washer) are all one piece. It sorta looks like you need to 'unpeel' the nut, but that's just the way it is. Put the socket on it and your good to go. That cover holds the washer onto the nut.

Rick