frusterated with exhaust

tyler08

Feb 3, 2009
Ok from here on out I'm paying a mechanic. I love my car but I'm a better driver than mechanic. Anyway heres the question. I put mac shotries,an off road h-pipe, and flows on my 87 gt. It turns out the catback was ment to fit on a LX not GT. Now when I hook the mid pipe to the catback the tailpipes are pushin against the inside of my bumper. Should I just cut the tail pipe and take it to an exhaust shop to have turndowns put on? I tried every local auto parts store and none of them had any turndowns suitable. Thanks again for helping a noob.

• Sponsors (?)

Dont get frustrated man....keep wrenching on your car.....! Seems like an honest mistake , you just got the wrong set up from the mid-pipe back . Seems like an exhaust shop can help you with a simple fix but you can also do it yourself . There are aftermarket "dumps" out there which you can easily install yourself . It also depends if you want tailpipes at all , you could just cut the tailpipes after the muffler and add dumps there . Or just selll your current cat-back and get some of these:

1979-95 Mustang Pro Dumps from Mustang Depot

I saw some cheap ones on Ebay which would work but cant post the link , just search "2 1/2'' Exhaust turn downs tail pipes clamps tips" on E-bay and you'll see them . But here is a pic :

71f6_1.jpg

or lastly find a used stock or aftermarket cat back specificly for a GT .

its an off road H pipe and its one piece. I had to weld new hangers on the H pipe to fit the stock set up.

Its possable if you flip it around it might fit better,some H-pipes are "arched" in the center.

If not then it would be a issue of it being too long,pushing the tip up into the bumper,if you really like the tail pipes then just work it out and keep them.

Exhaust is just piping,lol