FTI Combo VS Blower

92GreenGT

PEAT
Founding Member
Jul 18, 2002
Big Stone Gap, VA
I know I change my mind to much but please dont remind me. :p But like the title says, which to get. I have about $1600 saved up and I want to buy something, heads or blower basically. I know I will have to save up for the cam and intake and all the other stuff, but either one of the choices in going to have to have add-ons to get maxium performance. I only have enough for a SC-trim but I am not sure I want a SC-trim, but I would take a S-trim but for the price I could do the FTI stuff. I noticed on FTI's website that most of his cars are running low 12's and high 11's. Thats extremely fast, so if I could get that N/A there would be no need for a blower IMHO. Being 16 and trying to save money is a hard task, as im sure most of you have been there. Dont you just love making $5.15 a hour.:lol: I think the h/c/i would be better as it would give you room to grow later(like I would need to), I dont want something to crazy, but a nice all around car. Ed's combos seem to be doing just that, no issues with drivability. What do you all think, I couldnt sleep last night...I stayed up thinking till 3 in the morning, and FTI and AFR was running through my head. You guys try to help sort me out, tell me your opinions. Becuase truthfully I dont know what I want. Its hard to save money yet its hard to spend money. :flag:

Dave

• Sponsors (?)

In regards to the Supercharger: The SC-Trim is actually more efficient than the S-Trim. They are pretty much the same unit except the S-Trim comes with a 8lb pulley while the SC-Trim comes with a 6lb pulley. Also the S-Trim comes with a blow off valve fuel pump and what not...but really what you can do and save yourself the extra $1000 is buy an SC-Trim...get a 8lb pulley (this will void your warrenty from 3 years to 1) and buy the things like a blow off valve seperately. When I was in the market for a blower...a tech at Vortech told me this...I guess he really wasn't suppose to tell me that but did anyways. :)

In regards to FTI combo: Ed's stuff is proven...period. In my honest opinion nothing sounds better than a sound of a cam in a car. Plus, insteads of adding weight to your car by bolting up a blower...you will actually reduce weight if you go with aluminm heads etc...You will have to upgrade things like a fuel pump injectors so really it's not like you'll be saving money by getting one over the other. I personally am more of a N/A setup and with Ed's stuff you will be more than pleased. I have his cam and I have no regrets. I think you would make more power with FTI combo than a 8lb blower with the stock H/C/I, however, the minute you add a new intake etc...the blower will respond ever better.

Highbredcloud said:
In regards to the Supercharger: The SC-Trim is actually more efficient than the S-Trim. They are pretty much the same unit except the S-Trim comes with a 8lb pulley while the SC-Trim comes with a 6lb pulley. Also the S-Trim comes with a blow off valve fuel pump and what not...but really what you can do and save yourself the extra $1000 is buy an SC-Trim...get a 8lb pulley (this will void your warrenty from 3 years to 1) and buy the things like a blow off valve seperately. When I was in the market for a blower...a tech at Vortech told me this...I guess he really wasn't suppose to tell me that but did anyways. :)

In regards to FTI combo: Ed's stuff is proven...period. In my honest opinion nothing sounds better than a sound of a cam in a car. Plus, insteads of adding weight to your car by bolting up a blower...you will actually reduce weight if you go with aluminm heads etc...You will have to upgrade things like a fuel pump injectors so really it's not like you'll be saving money by getting one over the other. I personally am more of a N/A setup and with Ed's stuff you will be more than pleased. I have his cam and I have no regrets. I think you would make more power with FTI combo than a 8lb blower with the stock H/C/I, however, the minute you add a new intake etc...the blower will respond ever better.
You are exactly right, good post.:nice:

Thanks for the info on the SC-trim, reason I said I would take a S-trim over the SC-trim someone said something about being able to feel the S-trim more down low? I have been in a H/C/I S-trimmed car and it was totally badass(Go4it:hail2: ) But I too like the overall usable power of N/A.

Dave

assuming you'll get it dyno tuned, i'd go with the "all motor" option....

its power thats always there, people aren't going to hear it coming (not like a blower at least) its capable of high 11 second times, low 12s at the least, and it still leaves the power adder open....

Im not a expert on this all motor stuff. But I do know eds setups are the bomb and you can run low 12's/high 11's off them. In the future all you would have to do is add some nos and pretty much wipe the floor with any car in your town.

But the reason for my post is I wanted to clear up some misconceptions about the SC vs S trim. The S trim is a better blower! The SC trim is basically an S trim BUT, and this is a significant but, it has the impellar blades clipped in such a way that it must be spun at a higher RPM to equal the same flow of an S trim. This means a softer midrange compared to an S trim, and higher RPM (read: more heat) for the max boost levels. Also, the SC trim contrary to what is on vortechs site, wont be capable of the same HP levels that the S trim is.

Your choice is a tuff one. I love my blower and all, but Id also love having a cammy high compression motor, with a shot of nos of course. The blower route would be more street friendly. The all motor route would be more fun to build, but if it was me Id be looking for more power down the road, probably in a shot of nos.

Go with the heads, cam, intake and supporting parts for now, then when you are ready to rebuild the bottom end with stronger components go with a blower.

The H/C/I combo with good suspension can get you in the mid 11's, which is a lot of fun and gives you time to learn the car and work the chassis out.

Plan for the future now, and save money later....... :nice:

Happy Holidays to you and yours,

My $.02

perkys stang said:

Allright Smart Ass... :lol: I should have said....Learn from my mistakes :rlaugh:

Dave, Lets just say I sold every part I had bought for my combo and started building what I should have from the beginning, nothing like selling parts you never have assembled or used. :bang: :bang: :bang: but in the end I will be very happy :banana:

Rick 91GT said:
Allright Smart Ass... :lol: I should have said....Learn from my mistakes :rlaugh:

Dave, Lets just say I sold every part I had bought for my combo and started building what I should have from the begining. :bang: :bang: :bang: but in the end I will be very happy :banana:

Now if you could only see the end... ;)

I am going to suggest not to do either... 1 if you only make 5.15 and hour it's going to be hard to maintain either combo if this is your daily drive... But if you must have one I like n/a combo's myself

perkys stang said:
Now if you could only see the end... ;)

I am going to suggest not to do either... 1 if you only make 5.15 and hour it's going to be hard to maintain either combo if this is your daily drive... But if you must have one I like n/a combo's myself
I have a 2001 Grand Cherokee as a daily driver. But I do plan on driving it in the spring/summer. Hell its the only thing I have to spend money on. Other than a couple of small monthly bills.

All you guys have a happy and Merry Christmas.:nice:

Dave