fuel economy and cam

• Sponsors (?)

HOW DO YOU GET +20 MPG?!?!?!!111 :jaw: :rlaugh: my cars almost completely stock, besides exhuast, and is driven relatively slow all the time because i get about 15 MPG :mad:

I drive my car hard and last time I filled up I got 240 miles out of the thank and it took just over 11 at the pump. That puts me at 21-22 mpg. I drive 15 miles on the highway and about 22 miles around town a day. If I was all highway I would porbably be around 25-27mpg.

Exactly. HP and MPG do not mix together.

On the contrary, having HP and not using it all the time actually leads to better MPG. Any mod I've ever done to any of my cars hurts the gas mileage for a month or so until I finish playing with it all of the time, but only makes it better after that. Making more HP means the car is breathing easier and being more efficient (to an extent, 900HP cars aren't all that efficient, just powerful) assuming you can drive it without the accelerator on the floor all of the time you will get better mileage.

I drive my car 70+ miles every day, most on the highway at 80mph or better, and average 22mpg with a high of around 24mpg. That's a solid 2-3mpg better than I got when it was bone stock.

While it's not a mod motor, the biggest difference I ever noticed was with an LX 5.0 I had. I had made several trips to Austin and back averaging around 18-19mpg before I did a H/C/I swap and pulled down 23 the weekend after the swap before I even really had it dialed in.

Of course all of the cars that got better gas mileage after being modded when driven easy got much worse mileage when being driven hard, because since they breathed easier they could use more gas (but they don't have to).

:rlaugh:

Ok what I am getting at is don't buy a v8 sports car and mod it to hell and then expect to get great gas Mileage. If MPG is an issue, get a honda. That reasoning is the same as buying a Honda and then saying why isn't it fast?

Funny thing that a lightly modded LS1 will spank you all day long and then get 28-30mpg on the highway drive home. :rlaugh:

Most of us still use our mustangs as daily drivers. For that reason, milage is still important and something to consider when you are modifying. They are modified to be more fun as daily drivers and perform better at the track. Very few of our mustangs are dedicated racecars where you can completely ignore milage.

I think reasonable milage can be expected. Obviously, it is more important to some than others. You may enjoy wasting your money on gas if you want.

You can make loads of power without getting poor gas milage. Nearly any turbo setup can IMPROVE your gas milage. Just look at factory fuel economy ratings between a turbo model and the base model of the SAME car and engine (like the 300Z)

The big mods that will hurt milage are a blower (extra drag), a cam (hurts efficiency in cruise rpms), and gears. Most other mods focus on making the engine more efficient, even in the cruise rpms and will improve milage.

Your statements seems pretty ignorant to me!

Ok what I am getting at is don't buy a v8 sports car and mod it to hell and then expect to get great gas Mileage. If MPG is an issue, get a honda. That reasoning is the same as buying a Honda and then saying why isn't it fast?

Funny thing that a lightly modded LS1 will spank you all day long and then get 28-30mpg on the highway drive home. :rlaugh:
What is an LS1? Not all of them do;)

Most of us still use our mustangs as daily drivers. For that reason, milage is still important and something to consider when you are modifying. They are modified to be more fun as daily drivers and perform better at the track. Very few of our mustangs are dedicated racecars where you can completely ignore milage.

I think reasonable milage can be expected. Obviously, it is more important to some than others. You may enjoy wasting your money on gas if you want.

You can make loads of power without getting poor gas milage. Nearly any turbo setup can IMPROVE your gas milage. Just look at factory fuel economy ratings between a turbo model and the base model of the SAME car and engine (like the 300Z)

The big mods that will hurt milage are a blower (extra drag), a cam (hurts efficiency in cruise rpms), and gears. Most other mods focus on making the engine more efficient, even in the cruise rpms and will improve milage.

Your statements seems pretty ignorant to me!

How is my statement ignorant? I think ignorance is defined when you take a v8 and cam it and add mods to it and then talk about how much mpg you can get.

All of your quotes imply that any mods in general will hurt your milage and that you can't have power and make good milage too. That is ignorant.

It really can't be that difficult to get at least 18-20 mpg, even with mild cams and gears. I think most people who can't, are either driving the piss out of their car, making only short trips or the engine is way our of tune.

How is my statement ignorant? I think ignorance is defined when you take a v8 and cam it and add mods to it and then talk about how much mpg you can get.

Not to be an @ss, but, Cams+mods= no need to worry about mpg. If mpg is an issue, your best bet is to leave it stock.

Why do people mod a v8 sports car and worry about how much miles per gallon they will get?

Exactly. HP and MPG do not mix together.

All of your quotes imply that any mods in general will hurt your milage and that you can't have power and make good milage too. That is ignorant.
No my quotes imply that if you mod a vehicle, you shouldn't be worrying about how much gas mileage you can get.

It really can't be that difficult to get at least 18-20 mpg, even with mild cams and gears. I think most people who can't, are either driving the piss out of their car, making only short trips or the engine is way our of tune.
That may be correct, but that is not my point. My point deals with people wanting mpg and at the same time modding a v8 motor.

Hell, my 4cyl turbo was getting 17mpg while beating the piss out of it, and that's without an overdrive gear (3800-4000 on the highway), no O2 sensors, and an automatic... and I still ran quick as a well modded 4.6 down the quarter. Heaven forbid I put an overdrive transmission and an O2 sensor in and got 25+mpg like it should.
Great, congrats.

Why not? The cars still get driven on the street, most of them daily.
No my quotes imply that if you mod a vehicle, you shouldn't be worrying about how much gas mileage you can get.

As already said, you can still get good milage with mods. Possibly even better milage. :eek: What's wrong with doing a few mods and expecting your milage to stay reasonable?
My point deals with people wanting mpg and at the same time modding a v8 motor.

I put an offroad H pipe on my 97GT, knowing it would make more power, sound better and wouldn't hurt milage. So far, I'm getting about 1 to 1.5mpg better actually. I wanted milage and power, so what?

Why not? The cars still get driven on the street, most of them daily.
Ok and?

As already said, you can still get good milage with mods. Possibly even better milage. :eek: What's wrong with doing a few mods and expecting your milage to stay reasonable?
I never said you couldn't. I commented on adding mods such as cams and of the like to the engine and you shouldn't be worrying about MPG. It pretty much falls into the catagory of buying a honda just so you can make it fast.:lol:

I put an offroad H pipe on my 97GT, knowing it would make more power, sound better and wouldn't hurt milage. So far, I'm getting about 1 to 1.5mpg better actually. I wanted milage and power, so what?
:rlaugh: You are comparing an h pipe to internal engine work(cams/heads). Hate to tell ya, but there is a little bit of a difference. You aren't grasping the point I am trying to make. I am not stating you can't get good mpg with mods on your car. I am stating, you shouldn't be worried about getting good mpg with a v8 motor with engine mods even with a daily driver. Hell I have a full exhaust, LT car with 4.30's that has been my daily since I owned it. I have lost mpg, but that is the price to play.

I am stating, you shouldn't be worried about getting good mpg with a v8 motor with engine mods even with a daily driver.

Maybe you're not, but I hardly think that puts you in the situation to decide what anyone else with a V8 should be worried about. The question was asked, either answer it or bow out gracefully, but there's no need to proclaim from on high what other people should be worried about.

Call Bull**** all you want, the fact is the car is getting the MPG I posted. I just drove the car last week from Regina to Estevan and back at 75 MPH spirited driving. The car was filled when I left Regina and filled when I got back. It used exactly 10 litres of fuel to 100 kilometers driven, that my friend if you calculate it is 24 MPG using US gallons. The car has been doing that all year long that I have been driving it.

So that said, go **** yourself...

Maybe you're not, but I hardly think that puts you in the situation to decide what anyone else with a V8 should be worried about. The question was asked, either answer it or bow out gracefully, but there's no need to proclaim from on high what other people should be worried about.

Of course it does. Anyone who talks about adding cams and spraying nitrous, shouldn't be worried about gas mileage:lol:

The question was made in a public forum. I made my comments. Some agreed, some didn't. it is pretty much based off the same thing as people who post here asking for ideas, suggestions, experiences. After all, that is the prupose of these forums.

Of course it does. Anyone who talks about adding cams and spraying nitrous, shouldn't be worried about gas mileage:lol:

Still waiting on you to give a reason why, other than because you say so. It's been stated by several people in this thread that horrible mileage isn't necessary just because you have modded your car.

Though you've got me on the nitrous, I can't see how that could be good for the mileage. :)

Still waiting on you to give a reason why, other than because you say so. It's been stated by several people in this thread that horrible mileage isn't necessary just because you have modded your car.

Though you've got me on the nitrous, I can't see how that could be good for the mileage. :)
Have you even read the entire thread or just replied to a few posts here and there?

My point is NOT about how much mpg you will lose or gain. It is about not worrying about it PERIOD! He has bolt ons cam and possible head work with Nitrous. When you modify a car MPG shouldn't be the focus. The set up and the power gained for their goals is what matters. That is like me going with a 324 ci bigbore kit with MPH race heads/cams and nitrous and ask, hey how much gas mileage will I get? Can I still get 24 mpg?

What you are arrogantly ignoring, is the fact that milage can be part of the ultimate goals. It isn't all about power gains and 1/4 mile times when you are modifying a STREET car. Different people have different goals. Ford made compromises between cost, milage, power, comfort, ect. By modifying, we are changing these compromises for ones we value more.

We arn't talking about a race car here after all! If we were, then what you say is true.

Have you even read the entire thread or just replied to a few posts here and there?

My point is NOT about how much mpg you will lose or gain. It is about not worrying about it PERIOD! He has bolt ons cam and possible head work with Nitrous. When you modify a car MPG shouldn't be the focus. The set up and the power gained for their goals is what matters. That is like me going with a 324 ci bigbore kit with MPH race heads/cams and nitrous and ask, hey how much gas mileage will I get? Can I still get 24 mpg?

Once again, I ask WHY should milage not be a concern when modifying a car? It is narrow minded and ignorant to think it isn't a concern for a street car, much less a daily driver.

You clearly don't understand that a street car or daily driver is a balance of citeria (power, milage, comfort, ect), so I am done with this conversation until you prove that you arn't half as ignorant as you have shown yourself to be thus far.

i hate to say it but an LS1 is pretty badass :( i mean ive seen people pushin 325RWHP+ N/A with relatively simple mods :( i only DREAM of makin that power N/A, and then getting good gas mileage...........i still love my stang tho it looks assloads cooler :D

What you are arrogantly ignoring, is the fact that milage can be part of the ultimate goals. It isn't all about power gains and 1/4 mile times when you are modifying a STREET car. Different people have different goals. Ford made compromises between cost, milage, power, comfort, ect. By modifying, we are changing these compromises for ones we value more.

We arn't talking about a race car here after all! If we were, then what you say is true.

:shrug: :shrug: :shrug: Ok I can't explain it any easier. I will ask you this
How many people do you know that add cams, nitrous with possible heads/headwork to gain mpg and not hp or to be faster in the 1/4?
After all, that is what he mentioned in the very first post.

That is why I chose to voice my views that MPG shouldn't be an issue when doing those type of mods and you shouldn't be worrying about it. I already made my point. Why don't you comprehend what has been said by me. I am not arguing about mods not gaining better mpg. I am saying there is no point in worry about it if you are doing such and such mods. If you simply can't understand the simplicity in this, then I can't help you. Hell we can't even agree to disagree on this because you aren't even on the same subject as what I am trying to say.

Once again, I ask WHY should milage not be a concern when modifying a car? It is narrow minded and ignorant to think it isn't a concern for a street car, much less a daily driver.
If you have to ask that when you are doing internal engine work and adding nitrous to your engine, then you have other issues that you should be asking yourself.

You clearly don't understand that a street car or daily driver is a balance of citeria (power, milage, comfort, ect), so I am done with this conversation until you prove that you arn't half as ignorant as you have shown yourself to be thus far.

I clearly understand what a street car is a balance of. I just have a difference of opinion, you can't understand. I Just want to highlight that so I understand that you won't be posting again on this issue asking the same question's that have nothing to do with what I have been saying all along.:rolleyes: :nice:

Elite- I have a pretty good idea of what a LS1 is capable of doing. I have seen them push 320 rwhp stock and 360-370 with bolt ons.:)