Fuel Economy on 2005 Mustang

Discussion in '2005 - 2014 Specific V6 Tech' started by njacobus, Mar 27, 2008.

1. Lately I have been getting just over 12 MPG in town with a factory V8, no mods at all.
    On the road I can get as much as 24 or even a bit better.
    I would sure like to know the secret for getting more in town. I live about four miles from work and that's my typical commute with a stop or two.
  2. Four miles is roughly how long it can take to fully heat up. The coolant temp might show as up to temp, but the oil temps lags it a bit. Some of your commute is running rich to heat up the cats. Do you mean stop like redlight, or stop to get coffee stop?

Without a tune, try to shift under 2000 rpm. I usually shift at 1500-1750 rpm, with a couple specific spots where I WOT 1st & 2nd, just 'cause I can. :)
  3. Stop like at Wal-Mart. Seems like I am there everyday. It is on the way home. I also have an automatic. My legs, arthritis, prevent me from driving a 5-speed these days.
  4. It sounds like you are running a lot of short trips, where the car has a little time to cool down between, basically. That's gonna kill your mileage, as the engine runs rich at startup. :(